good prelim-medicine programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WhaleSharky

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm applying to like 67 PM&R programs.... but I have no idea how many pre-lim internal med programs to apply to????? Any ideas?? What's average?

Oh and should I just apply to programs based on liking their location? How do people normally go about choosing which prelim-med programs to apply to?

Many many thanks 🙂
 
I chose 1 for each PM&R program I applied to, but that would be ridiculous with your #'s. I ended up doing transitional in one town (Gunderson - LaCrosse - excellent program) and PM&R in another, so I had to move anyway.

I'd pick just a handful unless there's reason to suspect you will have a hard time getting in one. Also depends on how many you are willing to interview at - lots 'o money and time.
 
What is the best way to get a prelim in the same location as your residency? I mean besides applying to only 4 yr programs. I really dont want to move twice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the best way to get a prelim in the same location as your residency? I mean besides applying to only 4 yr programs. I really dont want to move twice.

moving is a huge hassle.

know what else is an even bigger hassle? going to a bad program (either prelim/transitional or residency).

one of the biggest mistakes that i made was to geographically limit my choices, especially for residency.
 
Thanks guys...

So I took your advice and am applying to those same schools which I'm applying for PM&R.... I also added a few programs that are located in the same cities... so I guess that will help limit my traveling etc...Hopefully I can interview at both places around the same time....

All the best to everyone!!