This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you're not a troll (I'm unsure):

Chill. It will be ok.

1. there probably isn't anything you can do to change your grade. But if you'd like to explore this option the best would be to meet with the clerkship leadership for OBGYN. We can't do anything about it.

2. yes you can still be competitive for those fields, especially given your step score, research, and if you do well in future clerkships.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I was trolling. Assuming I get a smattering of HP/H for my future clerkships and maybe another pub in what I want to go into, do you really believe I won't be punished for a remediated grade? So few people at my school have this situation so it makes me stand out in a horrendous way.

Will it make you less competitive than someone who didn't have to remediate a clerkship? Probably yeah. Does it mean you won't be able to match into one of those fields? I doubt it, especially if other aspects of your application are strong (which they seem to be).

Reactions: 1 user
That’s pretty bs...you’re basically saying your school auto fails the bottom 5% of the class? (Everyone below 2sds fails?)

Reactions: 2 users
That seriously sucks. Especially if some programs have an auto filter for applicants who didn't pass their specialty rotation on the first try.

The 260 helps though lol.

To answer simply the question in the title: You move on with your life and become a doctor.

After reading the OP's post:

Why would derm and/or rads care what you got on OB/Gyn? Will it show up on your transcript as a Pass, and not like a fail that was remediated to a pass?

Stop freaking out over it. It happened. It may make Derm harder because it's a small blemish on an otherwise stellar app, but just as not ALL dermatologists have perfect skin (just most of them) not ALL dermatology apps have zero blemishes.

For rads you'll be fine. Seriously. You'll match Rads without issue if that's what you want even with this.

I think failing people for passing (that's what 72 is right, a passing grade?) is really dumb, but that's not in your control.

I have nothing to really add, but this sounds like pure BS. What type of respectable school would auto-fail someone? You'd think a top 3 school would understand how talented their students are and not do something stupid like this.

Reactions: 6 users
I got a pass in OB/GYN because I essentially bombed my standardized patient exam (yeah, that will happen when the residents don't let you examine any patients, and no, I would not even think of practicing on fellow students and flings).

I got into radiology just fine. But **** OB/GYN (okay, I like the subject matter, but I detest most of the residents).

Reactions: 1 users
I actually failed. It will eventually be remediated to a pass. I am absolutely devastated. This is not a case of coasting through a rotation I am uninterested in and getting what I deserve. I actually loved OBGYN. I worked my ass off for 2 months, got great evals, perfect scores on my presentations and a 94 on my shelf. Those things I listed account for 90% of my grade. I got a 72 on my "standardized patient exam" which is the most subjective, confusing, counter intuitive assessment in the history of time. This was 2 standard deviations below the mean of my class, resulting in me failing it. This brings my entire grade down to a fail, even though I would have a grade right around 90 otherwise and the cutoff for high pass is 77. Is there anything I can do about this? It seems incredibly unjust to tank my entire 2 months of hard work and dedication for this completely sterilized BS exam that is in no way related to my ability to succeed as a doctor.

Assuming that there is nothing that I can do to alter this grade. Just how screwed am I? I previously was interested in Derm/Rads. Now they feel unobtainable. The rest of my stats for reference are 260 step 1, top 3 med school, 4-5 middle author pubs in something else, a sprinkle of volunteer/leadership. I so far got a high pass in neurology and an honors in psych. Is there anything I can do to still be competitive for derm? I have no interest in top residencies as academic medicine is not remotely intriguing to me, but want to train somewhere respectable.

Thank you so much for your input. I truly appreciate any help.

Holy cow, that's a nightmare. You're literally the perfect applicant. If it shows up as a Pass on your transcript you'll be fine, if it says fail, remediation, or P/C then that's another story.

As you know, any failure or repeat of a clerkship (or even preclinical class) is almost a definite app killer for things like derm as it's a huge red flag. It's not something they usually overlook. However, IF they were ever going to overlook it, it would be for an applicant like you who has literally every box checked.

Rads you'll have no problem with, but I would imagine that top programs would not look kindly at it.

Honestly, you need to fight this with administration and fight it hard. You have a perfect academic record and and sign that you remediated/failed OB/GYN would have a severe impact on your match prospects. You're at a top 3 med school, this kind of crap shouldn't be acceptable, you deserve better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Op do you have like a curriculum representative...is there any proper channel to resolve these things through? If not for challenging the grading system for future students at least give yourself a peace of mind that you did what could be done.

I’m sure some older people will come into this thread to whine about students whining about grades but honestly the policy you’re describing is completely illogical and detrimental to students. If anything remotely similar happened where I’m at, students would protest immediately

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for that utter nonsense OP

Hopefully youre school is like mine and if you successfully remediate something like this the first time, it isn’t marked on your transcript as anything but a P. (Check your school handbook, it might be in there)

That’s pretty bs...you’re basically saying your school auto fails the bottom 5% of the class? (Everyone below 2sds fails?)

Keeping it honest, scores below 2SD's are 2.5%. 2 SD's cover 95% of the scores, with 1/2 of the remaining 5% above and below.

But I do agree with the overall bs issue, I'd just state it differently -- the school should pick some absolute cutoff that is passing, and everyone below that fails. And despite what the OP has stated, that's probably what they have done. They would not just fail 2.5% of people for funsies.

Honestly, you need to fight this with administration and fight it hard. You have a perfect academic record and and sign that you remediated/failed OB/GYN would have a severe impact on your match prospects. You're at a top 3 med school, this kind of crap shouldn't be acceptable, you deserve better.

This is not a good attitude. It's totally fine for a school to have criteria for passing for failing a clerkship. If the OP really screwed up the OSCE / SP that badly, that's on them, not the school. The SP's are usually consistent graders.

My suggestion would be to set a meeting with the clerkship director, and ask nicely what your options are. Own your performance, state you're willing to do whatever is needed to address any deficiencies, and that you're looking for the best outcome possible. Maybe you can convince them to let you redo the exam. But if you go in fighting, you're certain to get pushback IMHO.

Keeping it honest, scores below 2SD's are 2.5%. 2 SD's cover 95% of the scores, with 1/2 of the remaining 5% above and below.

But I do agree with the overall bs issue, I'd just state it differently -- the school should pick some absolute cutoff that is passing, and everyone below that fails. And despite what the OP has stated, that's probably what they have done. They would not just fail 2.5% of people for funsies.
LizzyM said that at the med school she works at, during the preclinical phase a failing grade is set at doing worse than 2SDs below the meme. So I don't think it's fair to accuse OP of lying about his school's clinical grading policy.

This is not a good attitude. It's totally fine for a school to have criteria for passing for failing a clerkship. If the OP really screwed up the OSCE / SP that badly, that's on them, not the school. The SP's are usually consistent graders.

My suggestion would be to set a meeting with the clerkship director, and ask nicely what your options are. Own your performance, state you're willing to do whatever is needed to address any deficiencies, and that you're looking for the best outcome possible. Maybe you can convince them to let you redo the exam. But if you go in fighting, you're certain to get pushback IMHO.

ROFL

Are you in any chances part of some FM residencies that are pushing SP encounters on their FM residents?

God, a similar thing happened to me in psychiatry. 90th percentile shelf, great evals, did well on all the assignments, then all of a sudden I get a ridiculously low grade on a standardized patient thing and end up with a P when I could have been in contention for H/HP. No breakdown, no explanation for the grade. I've never before received a below average grade on a standardized patient. I will not miss M3 grading.

God, a similar thing happened to me in psychiatry. 90th percentile shelf, great evals, did well on all the assignments, then all of a sudden I get a ridiculously low grade on a standardized patient thing and end up with a P when I could have been in contention for H/HP. No breakdown, no explanation for the grade. I've never before received a below average grade on a standardized patient. I will not miss M3 grading.

This can be damaging if you’re thinking about psych though. I feel these types of things should be brought up to the clerkship director imo

This can be damaging if you’re thinking about psych though. I feel these types of things should be brought up to the clerkship director imo
Thankfully I’m not but you’re absolutely right. And the same thing has happened to many others, the clerkship director does nothing. But that’s honestly only the tip of the iceberg of the issues with M3 grades. If it were up to me the grade would be 100% shelf and the resident/attending evals would be used only for MSPE comments.

Reactions: 4 users
LizzyM said that at the med school she works at, during the preclinical phase a failing grade is set at doing worse than 2SDs below the meme. So I don't think it's fair to accuse OP of lying about his school's clinical grading policy.

I was not trying to accuse anyone of lying. Personally I think it's stupid to set a failing performance at a fixed percentile level. If everyone gets all of the questions right, and then you get one wrong, you would fail. This is dumb.

ROFL

Are you in any chances part of some FM residencies that are pushing SP encounters on their FM residents?

No, and now that I look at my comment, I must have had a temporal lobe seizure when I wrote it.