GPA Calculation

Started by glideslp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

glideslp

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bear w/ me about the dumb question...

So I'm an engineering major and I have a question on what will count towards my BCMP GPA. Is it ALL the BCMP classes I ever took or just the basic prereqs? In other words, I'm an engineering major so I have something like 6 math classes on my undergrad transcript...do I count them all when figuring out my BCMP GPA?

Thanks and good luck to you all.
 
Sweet. I got a lot of Cs in my engineering classes.

I will have a 3.7 SCI gpa and a 2.63 overall if I get A's in orgo and bio when I take them. At least something in my favor I guess...I'm sure med schools will have raised eyebrows about the 2.6 but maybe they'll see the engineering major and the 3.7 sci and give me a break. One can hope, I guess. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sweet. I got a lot of Cs in my engineering classes.

I will have a 3.7 SCI gpa and a 2.63 overall if I get A's in orgo and bio when I take them. At least something in my favor I guess...I'm sure med schools will have raised eyebrows about the 2.6 but maybe they'll see the engineering major and the 3.7 sci and give me a break. One can hope, I guess. Good luck!
Ouch. A 2.63 overall is not a happy number. You may face the problem of getting screened-out in the admissions office before an adcom member ever sees your app. And, your individual grades get attention - a responsible interviewer is going to look at all of them - as an older non-trad, I was asked about grades from 1980... twenty-five years ago. Be prepared to defend your engineering studies. Your 3.7 in science is great and that is the most important GPA, but medical schools put a lot of emphasis these days on being well-rounded. Man, I do wish you luck but I think you're in for a rough ride - you might want to do a year of self-directed, post-bacc, non-science "fluff" to get that overall up - it's a problem.
 
I'm a little worried about it, but don't think it'll ultimately keep me from getting in somewhere.

I have about 6 years until I apply (I'm in the Air Force) and will do a masters in bio while I'm in the military. I'm planning on doing 3 post-bacc classes when I get out to finish my prereqs so at least I'll be able to bring the overall up a tiny bit.

Hopefully a strong science GPA, masters GPA, post-bacc GPA and the ability to fly fighter jets and not kill myself will show them something...

Thanks!