Harcourt Practice Ques.

Started by mr. rx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mr. rx

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took the Harcourt practice test an hour ago, and to my surprise got an approximate percentile of 76-99, with 78% correct, 91/120. I've never taken the actual pcat before and this is my second time taking a practice test(first one was kaplan diagnostic.) Anyways, Harcourt's practice seemed almost too easy...but people are saying it's similar to the actual one? is that really correct? Kaplan's diagnostic I got a comp. 393 and I thought it was hard. I feel a bit dangerously overconfident now, cus I'm happy with a score around 70%. Has anyone whose taken Harcourt's practice got a similar score on the actual one??
 
i didnt take the practice i went and took the real one for practice...it wasn't hard i thought but my lack of reviewing killed me
there were soooo many qs on the test that i knew but just had slipped out of my head and if i had reviewed i would have gotten a good score... and yeh Kaplan book and test are harder i think then the real thing...
 
I just took the Harcourt practice test an hour ago, and to my surprise got an approximate percentile of 76-99, with 78% correct, 91/120. I've never taken the actual pcat before and this is my second time taking a practice test(first one was kaplan diagnostic.) Anyways, Harcourt's practice seemed almost too easy...but people are saying it's similar to the actual one? is that really correct? Kaplan's diagnostic I got a comp. 393 and I thought it was hard. I feel a bit dangerously overconfident now, cus I'm happy with a score around 70%. Has anyone whose taken Harcourt's practice got a similar score on the actual one??

I thought the PCAT practice test seemed too easy after taking Harcourt's practice test. I scored in the 76-99 range for all categories except reading comprehension where I scored in the 51-75 range. The test predicted that I would have a composite between 76 and 99. I scored a 94 on the real thing a few weeks later, and the actual PCAT didn't seem to be more difficult for me.

I was a little worried that the practice test was too easy myself given that I didn't do well on the verbal portion of the SAT years ago that had the same content as the PCAT verbal section. I only missed three questions out of 25 on the PCAT practice test. I got a 92 on the real thing.😎

Since Harcourt doesn't make any bold approximations about how you could score, you just have to worry that you could be a borderline scorer where you score in the lower 70s on the real thing even if Harcourt predicts that you'll score between 76 and 99. Conversely, you could be on track for a really good score!

Kaplan does have a tendency to make their practice tests for standardized exams more difficult from the real thing in my experience with their products. Kaplan isn't totally off, but the Harcourt practice exams are a lot closer to the real thing.
 
I thought the PCAT practice test seemed too easy after taking Harcourt's practice test. I scored in the 76-99 range for all categories except reading comprehension where I scored in the 51-75 range. The test predicted that I would have a composite between 76 and 99. I scored a 94 on the real thing a few weeks later, and the actual PCAT didn't seem to be more difficult for me.

I was a little worried that the practice test was too easy myself given that I didn't do well on the verbal portion of the SAT years ago that had the same content as the PCAT verbal section. I only missed three questions out of 25 on the PCAT practice test. I got a 92 on the real thing.😎

Since Harcourt doesn't make any bold approximations about how you could score, you just have to worry that you could be a borderline scorer where you score in the lower 70s on the real thing even if Harcourt predicts that you'll score between 76 and 99. Conversely, you could be on track for a really good score!

Kaplan does have a tendency to make their practice tests for standardized exams more difficult from the real thing in my experience with their products. Kaplan isn't totally off, but the Harcourt practice exams are a lot closer to the real thing.

Kaplan in my opinion is bunk for both the MCAT and PCAT. They use a lot of useless information.

Max
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought the PCAT practice test seemed too easy after taking Harcourt's practice test. I scored in the 76-99 range for all categories except reading comprehension where I scored in the 51-75 range. The test predicted that I would have a composite between 76 and 99. I scored a 94 on the real thing a few weeks later, and the actual PCAT didn't seem to be more difficult for me.

Harcourt's practice test was about the same for me. I scored 76-99 for all sections except one that was a 51-75 range. A week later I took the October 06 PCAT and scored a 96 composite percentile. All of my subsection scores were above 80%.

It seems to me they are comparable.
 
Harcourt's practice test was about the same for me. I scored 76-99 for all sections except one that was a 51-75 range. A week later I took the October 06 PCAT and scored a 96 composite percentile. All of my subsection scores were above 80%.

It seems to me they are comparable.

Eleen what are you doing now? Any progess with schools?

Max
 
I have only applied to one school. They've yet to send out accepted/denied letters.

So what are you doing in the meantime? Working, interninship?

Too increase your chances you need to send out as many applications as you can regardless of the school of your choice.

Max
 
So what are you doing in the meantime? Working, interninship?

Too increase your chances you need to send out as many applications as you can regardless of the school of your choice.

Max

I've been a full time chemist for several years. For me, there's only one school that I would consider. I like Arkansas, and I plan on staying here for life, including any schooling. Plus, they've got an impressive nuclear pharmacy program - my main interest.

So, if I do not make it in, I'm still happy with what I'm doing. My backup to not getting into my top choice is continuing with my career. I'm picky. 😉
 
I've been a full time chemist for several years. For me, there's only one school that I would consider. I like Arkansas, and I plan on staying here for life, including any schooling. Plus, they've got an impressive nuclear pharmacy program - my main interest.

So, if I do not make it in, I'm still happy with what I'm doing. My backup to not getting into my top choice is continuing with my career. I'm picky. 😉


Well Eleen I do wish you the best outcome.

Max