Harvard GRE requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernabosch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am an international student. Just got my GRE Q 650 V 610 and AWA 4. Is this good for Harvard? I have applied there and my scores will be reported. I have good work experiences - managerial role in public health for 6 + years (internationally). GPAs from under grad and grad school are very good. You think the GRE will massively affect me? Do you know someone who made it with such scores. Thing is I really, really can't get why schools' would rely on the GRE (sounds like sour grapes, I know). But I really do believe that doesn't quite evaluate one's capacity and that it is so undoing to a lot of people who can be very good in grad school. Btw applying to the DrPH. Thanks and appreciate any advice. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, Bernabosch, I am sorry to say this but... I do not know a single person [with your GRE score] that got accepted at Harvard.

However, don't get too down on yourself, I don't know a single person [with higher GRE scores than you] that got accepted at Harvard either.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Thanks Frasier for the witty reply. But hey, generally speaking do you think it would be naive to bet on getting a call up - that's cause I feel the rest of my application very strong (that also being subjective mind you). Anyway, could others share as well - you probably know how it's like to be in this position - screwed by the GRE...Damn!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think it would be naive to bet on getting a call up - that's cause I feel the rest of my application very strong (that also being subjective mind you).

No, you are not naive. If your app package is very strong -- then your gre score will not likely disqualify you.

I don't mean to be Negative Nancy here, but my understanding is that there is a general screening process at most schools to weed out the truly underwhelming applicants. Other posts have discussed that schools tend to have a formula that weighs undergrad GPA and GRE scores. I have no idea if you would make that first cut to merit the review of your other wonderful qualities. My advice: apply to Harvard and other schools that are doing things that interest you (other schools being some non-Ivy league institutions).

Good luck!

You never know until you apply.

That being said its is my understanding that most Drph and phds require at least a 1200, which you have. Nibor has the right idea with applying broadly.. Acceptance to those programs is typically around 5-20%. It is hard to say exactly what they are looking for. The phrase "complete package" is constantly repeated.

Like people have already said, there's only one way to find out. However, if you feel iffy about it and think you can score higher, you should consider it.

When I spoke with the chair, I got the impression the DrPH program only took 3-4 students a year. You might want to double check, but either way, I would consider retaking it regardless of your work experience. A lot of people want to go to Harvard, if you think you can get a better score you should try because most who apply will have good work experience.

At an information session, one person described my GRE score (680v, 780q) as "adequately competitive". Whether that person was kidding around or exaggerating, I cannot say. What I can say for sure is all the other doctoral applicants I met at the information session had much more impressive backgrounds than I did.

CameraMan,

"What I can say for sure is all the other doctoral applicants I met at the information session had much more impressive backgrounds than I did."

How impressive were their backgrounds?

Harvard does accept students with 1200s in GRE. I think GRE is one factor they consider. I know a friend who scored 1160 in his first GRE and jumped to 1460 in his second GRE. At one department in Columbia, the highest GRE score (1530) was not admitted while one of the lowest scores (1120) was accepted.

CameraMan,

"What I can say for sure is all the other doctoral applicants I met at the information session had much more impressive backgrounds than I did."

How impressive were their backgrounds?

Harvard does accept students with 1200s in GRE. I think GRE is one factor they consider. I know a friend who scored 1160 in his first GRE and jumped to 1460 in his second GRE. At one department in Columbia, the highest GRE score (1530) was not admitted while one of the lowest scores (1120) was accepted.

GRE scores won't disqualify you. I didn't mean to give that impression. I just think if you can score better, you should try.

As for other people... I met one with a MS in Epi and had worked abroad doing statistical analyses for UNAIDS (among other large organizations) for four or five years and had quite a number of publications under his belt. Another had an masters from HKS and a few years advocacy work.

(And if it helps, I have about 4 years of part-time experience and 1 year full time experience, only two published articles, decent GRE and undergrad GPA, excellent graduate gpa for my MPH, international experience for a couple of summers, and a few research awards.)

The most important thing for you to demonstrate that you belong is that you have a coherent package to offer the school and that you have your own ideas together in a way which would let you succeed in whatever research you plan to conduct. Your research ideas have to also fit with what the faculty are interested in--research fit is the most important part of any doctoral application, especially at a school where the applicant pool is as strong as Harvard.

GRE scores won't disqualify you. I didn't mean to give that impression. I just think if you can score better, you should try.

As for other people... I met one with a MS in Epi and had worked abroad doing statistical analyses for UNAIDS (among other large organizations) for four or five years and had quite a number of publications under his belt. Another had an masters from HKS and a few years advocacy work.

(And if it helps, I have about 4 years of part-time experience and 1 year full time experience, only two published articles, decent GRE and undergrad GPA, excellent graduate gpa for my MPH, international experience for a couple of summers, and a few research awards.)

wow, I am pretty sure I will be rejected by Harvard.:(
Wonder how students who have no work experience would compete with applicants who have amazing work experience and many publications.

Are you applying for the ScD in Epi?Good luck with your application.

The most important thing for you to demonstrate that you belong is that you have a coherent package to offer the school and that you have your own ideas together in a way which would let you succeed in whatever research you plan to conduct. Your research ideas have to also fit with what the faculty are interested in--research fit is the most important part of any doctoral application, especially at a school where the applicant pool is as strong as Harvard.

Thanks Stories for the advice. I have spent endless hours writing my SoP, so let's hope I make a coherent and robust case to Harvard.

Stories is right. I've talked to a few of the professors and chairs of the departments I'm interested in and they consistently say the same thing. If you have the academic training or experience, it comes down to a matter of "fit" in the department and parallel research interests. (And as a long side note: you also should only be looking at schools that have the same research interests as you. A few professors talked about "tweaking" their interests to better align with mine, but I just feel like that's not the most conducive environment to learn or do research. I want to work with established programs so you can contribute to existing research--not a school where I'd be out on my own with professors who might kinda-sorta help.)

Good luck with your apps. If you have access to a professor that is on your school's admissions committee, I'd suggest having them read your Statement of Purpose. Two did for me and their input was invaluable--things that go beyond grammar and things I would have never of thought of. (For example, one personally knows two professors I mentioned in my statement and told me to pick one or the other because they might work together professionally but are not on good terms personally and you don't want politics within the department to play a role in your application.)