PhD/PsyD deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I'm i'm sure the grand scheme of things it's a very rare occurrence, but it happens.

There are standards and competencies that are assessed throughout internship, and If one fails to meet them repeatedly, of course you should fail internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a dude that was wearing "designer" sweatpants over and over to his internship. He was told repeatedly that he needed to wear more professional pants. The site actually made pants available to him. He continued to wear the sweatpants. He got booted shortly after.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, although I've only seen it a couple times, when the intern had every chance to attempt remediation and blatantly chose not to do so. Internships generally do not remove or refuse to graduate someone lightly. Their first duty is till to patient safety, and if they feel that the intern is inadequately prepared to safely interact with patients, it's their duty to act as a safeguard. Now if only the diploma mills felt the same way...

My impression is that being dismissed from a doctoral program is quite a bit more common than failing internship.

Yes, and it should be. Both graduate programs and internships are gatekeepers, and problems should ideally be caught (and students given a chance to remediate) at the earlier levels before getting passed onto internship.

It happens, but it takes effort to get booted. For APA-acred programs there has to be a remediation plan in place, though I'm not sure if there are exceptions.

I've seen it happen on practica and also fellowship, but again...this was after attempts to address the issues.

There have been instances where someone takes leave and doesn't return, so they can't meet the hours and objectives of the site.

I've never known of anyone directly, but have heard of it happening at least once at all of the internship sites at which I've either trained or worked. As others have said, it involved significantly problematic behavior(s) that did not respond to multiple attempts at remediation.

I know of a dude that was wearing "designer" sweatpants over and over to his internship. He was told repeatedly that he needed to wear more professional pants. The site actually made pants available to him. He continued to wear the sweatpants. He got booted shortly after.
Bahahaha this is the best.

Like others, I don't know anyone directly that this has happened to, but I have heard of it happening. The couple of cases I'm familiar with were pretty egregious, things like lacking even basic counseling skills or a major ethics violation.

Members don't see this ad :)

Fine, I'll be the one to ask. What the hell are designer sweat pants?

I have images of when I was in middle school and high school and if the kids wore clothing deemed inappropriate they'd be sent to the office for the most tacky suspenders/neon sweats/ etc - in an attempt to shame them into following dress code, I guess. That's what I am imagining happening on internship, except maybe for that guy who seemed to care about being fashionably hip, they are the khaki-est khaki, front-pleat, too-short, rolled hem and high-waisted pants they could find. No offense if that's your thing, but it probably ain't that intern's style if he's spending hundreds of dollars on sweats, lol!

I think it would be a more common occurrence, but it says something about a supervisor to a degree.

I've seen a lot of trainees get away with things, because supervisors didn't want go through the whole remediation plan route

I think it would be a more common occurrence, but it says something about a supervisor to a degree.

I've seen a lot of trainees get away with things, because supervisors didn't want go through the whole remediation plan route

In fairness, there is also a lot of unreliability in assessment of clinical skills, etc. I've had vastly different appraisals of some trainees than other people. A clear ethics violation is one thing, but when it comes to questions about how good they are at vaguely-defined skills, it can be hard to measure and even harder to defend if the student protests it to higher admin.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm not sure why you would expect it to be more common for someone to be dismissed or fail an internship considering how many hurdles are overcome before that point. On the other hand, remediation plans were a fairly common occurrence at our internship, but that also spoke more to the supervisors' perspective on training than anything else.

Yes, and it should be. Both graduate programs and internships are gatekeepers, and problems should ideally be caught (and students given a chance to remediate) at the earlier levels before getting passed onto internship.
you'd think the designer sweatpants problem would be miraculously solved at some level before internship.

Reactions: 2 users
I have images of when I was in middle school and high school and if the kids wore clothing deemed inappropriate they'd be sent to the office for the most tacky suspenders/neon sweats/ etc - in an attempt to shame them into following dress code, I guess. That's what I am imagining happening on internship, except maybe for that guy who seemed to care about being fashionably hip, they are the khaki-est khaki, front-pleat, too-short, rolled hem and high-waisted pants they could find. No offense if that's your thing, but it probably ain't that intern's style if he's spending hundreds of dollars on sweats, lol!

fun short story. During my doc program, our dept hired this completely incompetent OCPD clinic director. I've got no beef with her, to be clear, she's just humorously incompetent so much so that without knowing details I didnt have a hard time imagining why she ran her pp into the ground....

Anyways, as she gets a few months into her role, she starts critiquing student dress code in the clinic, even when they're not seeing patients, or able to be seen by patients.
Told a guy his sideburns were too long. Told that same guy another time he needed to shave before seeing patients. Told people who were wearing dress shirts designed to not be tucked in they needed to be tucked in to see patients, etc. Pants too long. Dress shoes not nice enough, etc. Many other weird things too, they just werent dress code based.

fun short story. During my doc program, our dept hired this completely incompetent OCPD clinic director. I've got no beef with her, to be clear, she's just humorously incompetent so much so that without knowing details I didnt have a hard time imagining why she ran her pp into the ground....

Anyways, as she gets a few months into her role, she starts critiquing student dress code in the clinic, even when they're not seeing patients, or able to be seen by patients.
Told a guy his sideburns were too long. Told that same guy another time he needed to shave before seeing patients. Told people who were wearing dress shirts designed to not be tucked in they needed to be tucked in to see patients, etc. Pants too long. Dress shoes not nice enough, etc. Many other weird things too, they just werent dress code based.
not a good way to make friends, especially in a new position.

not a good way to make friends, especially in a new position.
just to be clear: I'm much more concerned about her being allowed to have any effect on trainees than her lack of ability to make/retain friends.
I met her husband once, though, and did an excellent job of not asking him how he tolerated her.

just to be clear: I'm much more concerned about her being allowed to have any effect on trainees than her lack of ability to make/retain friends.
I met her husband once, though, and did an excellent job of not asking him how he tolerated her.

How did she feel about sweatpants?

How did she feel about sweatpants?
I think it would depend on who the offender was, honestly.
If it was B, the guy with the sideburns, she'd be all over him.
Maybe almost as much if it was me, and she was having a bad day. Depends on how many emails of mine she'd read over my shoulder at that point.
Also, is Dr P. there? (DCT). That variable changes everything.
If Dr C. was there, she'd tell him he was unprofessional for allowing sweatpants-esque behavior, whatever that means.
If it was Dr J, she'd ask him what he wanted to do with "this insubordinate".
If it was little B, who was likely to wear yoga pants to the clinic, she'd do nothing. OTOH, had it been A, she would have moved to have A kicked out of the program immediately.

I came close to failing a rotation due to a rather pathological supervisor. He attempted to fail me and refused to allow a remediation plan. I also happened to be going through some health issues and a cancer scare that he was aware of. Fun situation, the training director eventually had to step in and remove me from his supervision when I met all the requirements of a remediation plan and he still refused to pass me.

Not what you were going for, but...

When I was on internship, the training director mentioned a few years before, an intern died in a car accident about two months before completion. She had defended her dissertation and had completed all minimal requirements of the internship (e.g., we had to have a certain number of assessments over the year). All that was left was the technical one-year-of-internship part. The internship elected to evaluate her for the year and passed her, so she was awarded her Ph.D. posthumously.

I know of one person, details are sketchy whether there was an ethical violation but there was definitely a major incident and "worst nightmare" type of situation.

I had a supervisor on internship that did not recommend for me to pass internship. It was a psychodynamic supervisor but none of my other supervisors (CBT and psychoanalytic) had any concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.