Have they ever given questions on Raoult's law (VOLATILE SOLUTES)?

Started by deleted1189988
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1189988

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
have they ever done volatile solutes for raoults law, like use the equation to solve, i'm only seeing non volatile type questions regarding equations.
 
have they ever done volatile solutes for raoults law, like use the equation to solve, i'm only seeing non volatile type questions regarding equations.
This is an important question. Here is my Golden Rule... Nonvolatile solutes do not break apart,,,,,, they are non-electrolytes and include enzymes, sugars, proteins, and virtually all organic molecules. A volatile solute is ionic.....for example...KBr, which breaks into 2 particles,,,K and Br ions. CaCl2 would break into 3, Li2CO3 would break into 2 Li + and 1 C03-- to give 3. Be careful and note that polyatomic ions stay together as I just showed you. Let us do one more. How many particles will NaNO3 give? Well....we have 1 Na + and 1 polyatomic ion NO3 - hence we get 2. Hope this helps ! Dr. Romano
 
Yes, I understand this. I know this much and that it effects the van hoff factor. Is that as much as I need to know for the exam?
 
For example, Raoult's law with volatile solutes, is a little bit different than raoults law with non volatile solutes. Do I need to know both, or just non volatile/