Having difficulty w/ one of the application questions! Help please!

Started by hl11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hl11

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi everyone,
i think i need some advice before i e-submit my application.

Under the "background information" section, there is this last question: "Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance?" I have trouble answering this qeustion...

Here's my story--in my freshman year in college, I achieved a GPA of 3.9 in my first semester and a 4.0 in my second semester. However, things happened. During my soph. year, my grandmother was diagnosed w/ cancer and I had to travel back and forth betw my college (I went to a SUNY college) and NYC. As a matter of fact, my GPAs dropped sharply (like a 3.1 and 3.2 for that school year). I kind of mentioned this in my personal statement but I am not sure if I should elaborate more under this question. What's your advice?

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your feedback.
 
hi everyone,
i think i need some advice before i e-submit my application.

Under the "background information" section, there is this last question: "Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance?" I have trouble answering this qeustion...

Here's my story--in my freshman year in college, I achieved a GPA of 3.9 in my first semester and a 4.0 in my second semester. However, things happened. During my soph. year, my grandmother was diagnosed w/ cancer and I had to travel back and forth betw my college (I went to a SUNY college) and NYC. As a matter of fact, my GPAs dropped sharply (like a 3.1 and 3.2 for that school year). I kind of mentioned this in my personal statement but I am not sure if I should elaborate more under this question. What's your advice?

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your feedback.

I see no harm in elaborating under this section. Be sure not to go over the word limit though, be as concise as possible. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It adversly affected your performance.... so yeah, include it in that section.
 
I agree with everyone else on here. I also had a semester where my grades changed drastically. I explained the situation in this section. During my interviews I was questioned about it. As long as you are honest about the situation and explain how you have learned to deal with it this section is great for people like us.