Step I Heart rate calculation

Started by Lothric
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lothric

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

If it is said that person A had a heart rate of 194 beats/minute at the age of 18 and is now 56 years old, how can I calculate the heart rate?

I'm supposed to use the formula 220 - age which would give 220 - 56 = 164

But the answer is 156, so I'm assuming they first control what the heart rate should be with the formula during age 18 --> 220 - 18 = 202 --> 8 beats/minute less than the actual heart rate (194).

So when we got 164, we are supposed to do 164 - 8 = 156.

What if it's the opposite - she had a heart rate of 212 during the age of 18? This would mean she has 10 beats/minute more than what the formula gives at age 18, so when we get 164 beats/minute at the age of 56 (according to formula), we need to add 10 --> 174 beats/minute. Is this correct? If so, the principle is the same.