Help! Extreme Performance Anxiety!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hoopchicksw

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a first year PT student at Western Carolina University, and I am loving my program...but I have one major problem: I get so anxious when we have to do a practical that I barely pass, even though I have spent ample time preparing for it. Yesterday, I had an interview practical and I got so nervous I forgot 5 or 6 pertinent questions and cried in my professor's office when I was done. I really want to stay in this program, but I know that the practicals are going to get much longer and be harder. I have always had this problem--I used to get really anxious when I was younger and had to audition on musical instruments. Has anyone else had similar problems? What can I do?
 
Usually, your university should have a psychologist on campus. Talk to them first before turning to medication. They should be able to help you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meditation works wonders for anxiety. A couple minutes a day is fine... If your open minded to that sort of thing lol if not forget i said it....I used to have severe anxiety
 
Thank you everyone for the replies! I think I will try going to the counseling center on campus..it's something I'd like to get rid of for the rest of my life!