Help finalizing school list (517/3.8)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolc19

Reaction score
Hi, I have currently applied to 19 schools but I'm looking to add about 11-20 more. I'm not sure if my list is too top heavy, I'm okay applying to long shot schools just as a shot in the dark but I want to make sure that I have a good balance as well.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. 3.8cGPA, 3.71sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. 517 (128/132/127/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. ORM, white female
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Top UC School
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 1800+ hours of a sports medicine internship, hands on clinical experience with athletes working through athletic injuries
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Clinical research within sports medicine (2 different projects only ~ 50 hours total, doing some additionally over the summer)
    2. Clinical research job for gap year but won't start until August
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 50 hrs ortho, family medicine, dermatology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. wayfinder at local hospital, helped visitors and patients find their way around ~ 100 hours
    2. Performing at local community centers (retirement homes, libraries, etc.) ~ 100 hours
    3. volunteering at food banks over the summer (should be able to include in secondaries) and plan to volunteer in the community throughout my gap year (may not be able to include all in secondaries)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 10,000+ hours of competitive dancing (regional, national, and world level) - through college, main spark that led me to medicine and specifically sports medicine
    2. MCAT tutor (CARS section) - 300+ hours throughout the next year (~75 completed)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Deans List, Academic Scholarship
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. I think my writing so far in my primary (PS, W&A) has been strong so hopefully compensating for any missing areas, also gap year activities will also hopefully help compensate
    2. Also some schools have dance medicine research (Ive seen NYU and USC) and thats really interesting to me so if you know of any other schools with that let me know
19 schools I have already applied to:
1. University of Wisconsin - Madison
2. Drexel
3. GWU
4. Georgetown
5. UCLA
6. CUSOM
7. UMiami
8. UNC
9. UCSD
10. UColorado
11. UCI
12. Kaiser
13. USC
14. UCSF
15. BostonU
16. Stanford
17. Columbia
18. Yale
19. NYU

*I know UNC has a high instate preference but I wanted to shoot my shot there, and Ik some are research heavy ones but im hoping my research over the year will help a little bit

Schools I'm considering adding;
1. UC Davis
2. TCU
3. Wake Forest
4. UC Riverside (although not from this specific area of CA ~2hr away)
5. UIllinois Chicago
6. Chicago Rosalind Franklin
7. Univ of Hawaii (not sure if this is worth it since out of state, small ties)
8. Temple
9. Penn St.
10. NYMC
11. Tufts
12. Emory
13. FAU
14. Brown
15. UMass
16. Univ of Cincinnati
17. Thomas Jefferson
18. Albert Einstein
19. Umich
20. Upitt
21. Ichan
22. Cornell
23. Case Western (one of my LOR is from a Dr who went here but idk how much of an impact that has)
24. USF
25. Vanderbilt
26. Northwestern
27. UChicago
28. Harvard

Any help is amazing! And definitely will take suggestions that aren't on this list, just wanna be in city/suburban area preferably. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not bother with the secondary for UNC. You could add these schools to your application:
USF Morsani
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hofstra
NYMC
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
Iowa
Your main weakness in your application is your minimal research hours and your non clinical hours are low for top tier schools, where you will be competing with applicants who have many hundreds or thousands of non clinical volunteering.

I agree that the experiences you have in medicine all center around your interests in dance, orthopedics, PMR, and sports medicine. You don't have a lot of experience in any other traditional primary care areas or other fields of medicine that are less connected to your 10K hours of dance athletics.

That doesn't mean that some schools won't take a flyer on you, but I agree your clinical experience needs to be more representative of hospital/academic medicine. I'm sure sports/dance/performance medicine is what you want to do, but you will be spending more time on the other facets of medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree that the experiences you have in medicine all center around your interests in dance, orthopedics, PMR, and sports medicine. You don't have a lot of experience in any other traditional primary care areas or other fields of medicine that are less connected to your 10K hours of dance athletics.

That doesn't mean that some schools won't take a flyer on you, but I agree your clinical experience needs to be more representative of hospital/academic medicine. I'm sure sports/dance/performance medicine is what you want to do, but you will be spending more time on the other facets of medicine.
I do know of people that have gotten in with their only clinical experience being this internship that I've done but that being said, do you think that my clinical research job during my gap year will be able to add to this or should I add additional clinical hours in another way?