x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanielMoney672

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. So there would not be even a slim chance given the rest of my work right? I figured it was almost impossible, but I really wanted to give it a shot at least

Correct, med schools want to make sure you know what you're getting into. Without any clinical experience, that's not apparent in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, sounds like I will just focus on relaxing for the next month and then spend as much time as possible in the clinical setting in the upcoming year. I really wish I could have applied this cycle but I guess that it would be impossible for me to get in anywhere.

Edit:

Would it be possible to spend the next month and find a place where I can work maybe 40 hours a week and get something like 150 hours and then still apply this cycle? Or would that be far too late in the cycle to apply?

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately the pandemic did cancel a lot of plans, but med schools won't accept you without sufficient clinical hours.

I can't recommend doing that. You risk looking like a box checker and it may do more harm to your application than good.
150 hrs/1 year >>> 150 hrs/4 weeks. Take a gap year and focus on your clinical experience and volunteer so you have a stellar application for next year.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro @Faha

any input ?

If finances of application cost are not an issue, would it hurt for OP to apply this year ?

OP Has good GPA/MCAT which places at 80% acceptance chances on the AAMC grid, I understand that most of the matriculants in that range probably have more clinical exposure than OP and his chances are lower. Even if he has a low chance of getting in, would it not make sense to apply at least to in state schools and maybe some of the lower tier medical schools, instead of taking a gap year trying to improve his application. With the COVID situation, would there be some leniency from medical schools regarding the clinical exposure for this years applicants?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @wolfram&hart and @Zorax for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Thanks @nkal225 for the interest and for tagging Goro and Faha. I am definitely interested in their input as well and whether they agree with wolfram and Zorax and say that there is simply a 0% chance for me receiving an acceptance this cycle and that I just have to deal with the fact that I need a gap year.

Thanks for the advice. So there would not be even a slim chance given the rest of my work right? I figured it was almost impossible, but I really wanted to give it a shot at least
What are you going to say when asked how you know you are suited for a life of caring for the sick and suffering? “That you just know”? Imagine how that will go over!

From the wise LizzyM: I am always reminded of a certain frequent poster of a few years ago. He was adamant about not volunteering as he did not want to give his services for free and he was busy and helping others was inconvenient. He matriculated to a medical school and lasted less than one year. He's now in school to become an accountant.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Take a gap year.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro @Faha
If finances of application cost are not an issue, would it hurt for OP to apply this year ?

OP Has good GPA/MCAT which places at 80% acceptance chances on the AAMC grid, I understand that most of the matriculants in that range probably have more clinical exposure than OP and his chances are lower. Even if he has a low chance of getting in, would it not make sense to apply at least to in state schools and maybe some of the lower tier medical schools, instead of taking a gap year trying to improve his application. With the COVID situation, would there be some leniency from medical schools regarding the clinical exposure for this years applicants?
This is bad advice. really bad advice.

Those people who got accepted had their clinical experiences.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users