• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

hemorroids before EBRT for PCa

Radiator20

2+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2018
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Is the presence of symptomatic hemorrhoids considered a contra-indication for radiation treatment for prostate cancer?

I wouldn’t think so. But they might well worsen on tx, particularly if your institution uses daily rectal balloon.

If they’re truly bothersome (and you’re worried about ability to get through tx for that reason), could consider asking a general surgeon to take care of them first. If he has lower risk disease, the delay won’t matter, and if higher risk disease, will be on neoadj ADT anyway so you’ve got some time.

In addition, could BB anal verge at time of sim and make a special effort to keep dose off it (while not undercovering).

About the Ads

Radiator20

2+ Year Member
    Apr 4, 2018
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      If the hemorrhoids are in the XRT field, in this day and age, we're doing it wrong.

Agree, certainly they shouldn’t be in PTV. But doesn’t mean they won’t see any dose. And if hemorrhoids are bad enough that we’re having this discussion, I think it’s worth paying attention to that dose.

Made me lol too... I wonder if anyone still does it

Yup. Some still do. The argument, I think, being better overall setup but particularly less posterior uncertainty, so smaller posterior PTV and ultimately better rectal sparing. Not necessarily endorsing, just saying.

CptCrunch

15+ Year Member
      Apr 3, 2005
      1. Attending Physician
        I wouldn’t think so. But they might well worsen on tx, particularly if your institution uses daily rectal balloon.

If they’re truly bothersome (and you’re worried about ability to get through tx for that reason), could consider asking a general surgeon to take care of them first. If he has lower risk disease, the delay won’t matter, and if higher risk disease, will be on neoadj ADT anyway so you’ve got some time.

In addition, could BB anal verge at time of sim and make a special effort to keep dose off it (while not undercovering).

Agreed. Probably best to take care of it before treatment so you won't hear complaints about it each week during OTVs.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.