How competative really?

Started by dradams
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dradams

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How competative are GI fellowships really? I personally know 2 DO's who finished GI fellowships only a couple of years ago and are now practicing. Typically those specialties that are very competative are made up of MD's almost exclusively. That is not the case with GI. So when people say GI is competative, what does that really mean?
 
Since GI is a fellowship, its candidate selection depends much more on the quality/reputation of your IM residency and how well you did there. Unlike competitive residencies like derm or rad onc where you apply while in medical school, I don't think having a D.O. makes any difference once you train at a reputable IM residency program. The tough part coming immediately out of D.O. school is securing a spot at a reputable IM residency in the first place.
 
Your best chance at matching GI as at your "home" program.

So make sure you pick a program with its own GI fellowship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How competative are GI fellowships really? I personally know 2 DO's who finished GI fellowships only a couple of years ago and are now practicing. Typically those specialties that are very competative are made up of MD's almost exclusively. That is not the case with GI. So when people say GI is competative, what does that really mean?

WTF? So I suppose Cardiology is also not competitive either because it has many FMG's. Nice logic!

It's extremely competitive but the selection criteria is different for fellowship. Your medical school performance and name of your medical school means almost nothing when applying at the fellowship level with the exception of the high powered academic centers. The truth is a lot of FMG's and DO's beat out many qualified U.S. M.D. applicants because their CV's and letters were better with the exception of the name of their school. If I was a U.S. allopathic student and I wanted my school to open doors for me, I would look into surgery-related fields. Surgery is still old school and will gladly take an average U.S. grad over a much more qualified FMG or DO simply because where he or she attended medical school. But if you are looking for that type of favortism in IM fellowships, you won't find that.