How did pathology fare in the 2026 match?

Started by univlad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank God. It looks like Pathology will no longer be the “default specialty” for quite a while- at least until the cycle repeats itself again.
I saw a graph which depicted the demand for pathologists will surpass supply for the next 5-10+ years. Hopefully that’s true.
 
Thank God. It looks like Pathology will no longer be the “default specialty” for quite a while- at least until the cycle repeats itself again.
Wait until the job market goes back to sh$t and all the Thrombuses of the world are resurrected from the dead lmao.
 
I started in this field a long, long time ago and retired in 2013. It is a wonderful specialty and I just hate that it had been a “dumping ground“ for so long.
 
I started in this field a long, long time ago and retired in 2013. It is a wonderful specialty and I just hate that it had been a “dumping ground“ for so long.
You can thank our leaders for this.

Poor management of supply and demand.

Path is an Interesting and important field that was hurt by an oversupply of trainees for years. Paths reputation and image as a field was hurt by a poor job market and medical students considering it a “non competitive” field sadly. The last thing we need is pathology, an important field as it is, to be a dumping ground.

Fortunately it’s gotten more competitive and stronger candidates are applying.
 
Last edited: