How do I excel in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PeterParker616

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am starting medical school this summer and am wondering if anyone has advice for me. In undergrad, I was never the best student. I did ok, but never 'locked in' on my studies. I did well on the MCAT, but from what I know about medical school, the last-minute desperation studying is not going to allow me to succeed like I want to in medical school. I am extremely fortunate in that I will be living at home for school and will be able to graduate without debt because of scholarship.

I want to take full advantage of this privilege to attend medical school. I want to learn to the best of my ability, and I want to become a strong leader.

To those currently in medical school and who have been through it already, what types of behaviors and mindsets have you seen students who excel employ? How can I best prepare myself in the next few months before I begin my studies?