This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038378

:alien:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do IMGs match into top residency programs?
Harder and harder every year...
I would compare this with winning a lottery, some people do, 99.99999999% do not.

Probably cause they were better than the other applicants

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For Harvard Derm, that 1 “IMG” is from Israel, which would place him in the FMG category. FMGs are not held to the same standards as IMGs, which are usually American-born students that went abroad.

Reactions: 2 users
Connections
Years of experience in the field
Better applicant than us
Option of keep practicing in their own country --> ability to apply every year with no 300k debt holding them down. I know a FMG who matched into IM 10 years after graduating. Granted it's not the best program or the most competitive speciality, but she basically applied every year until she got something.

Sorry you're right! That would be the case for a lot of these! The distinction between IMG vs FMG slipped my mind. But don't foreign IMGs generally have a harder time?

The FMG's that match elite residency programs typically come from elite foreign schools, are already attendings in that field, have a mountain of publications, did multiple years of research in the department they matched at, or a variety of other factors.

Reactions: 7 users