how do you keep time?

Started by newslang
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

newslang

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you keep time on the PCAT if digital watches/stop watches are forbidden in the testing room?
 
I blew my own 50 minute hourglass.

But seriously, my testing room had a clock in it. And you can use a normal wristwatch if all it does is tell the time.
 
We had a clock, plus there was a chalk board that they would write intervals on: 15 min left, 10 min left... then they made an anouncement at about 5 or 2 minutes. Very high tech.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stop watches are not forbidden as long as it does not have a calculated, What planet are you taking the PCAT on!!!!!!!!!! STOP WATCHES ARE ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!
 
When I emailed scoring services they told me this:

"Dear Participant,

Digital Watches are not permitted. For a list of prohibited items please refer directly to the test website at: www.pcatweb.info <http://www.pcatweb.info> .

Good luck.

Pearson
PSE - Customer Relations
Phone: 800-622-3231
Fax: 888-211-8276"
 
When I emailed scoring services they told me this:

"Dear Participant,

Digital Watches are not permitted. For a list of prohibited items please refer directly to the test website at: www.pcatweb.info <http://www.pcatweb.info> .

Good luck.

Pearson
PSE - Customer Relations
Phone: 800-622-3231
Fax: 888-211-8276"

eehh...so I can't use just a regular digital watch?

can someone who has taken the pcat please shed some light here?
 
What about these?

51ENQB696KL.jpg
 
Why would you bring a stopwatch? Just bring a regular wristwatch, unless that's what you mean. I think Pearson took "stopwatch" as the ones you use to measure track athletes or something, but even then I don't see why you can't use it, just a bit awkward looking lol.
 
so i should be able to bring in a regular digital watch that has a timer on it? has anyone actually used one on the pcat??

im just really paranoid. I need to make sure so that i don't go in and have someone tell me that i can't use it. im very dependent on my timer
 
i think they get annoyed by having a bunch of stopwatches go off beeping while there is a minute or two left in the test or even within a few seconds of each other. Maybe they allow silent ones.
 
i did mean a regular writwatch (that is digital)

i thought when it said no stopwatch, this included such digital watches since they usually have a stopwatch feature
 
I think it's fine as long as you turn off all the beeping on your watch.

I wore mine during my PCAT and I haven't been bugged by any of the proctors.

Plus, the rooms you'll write them in, they usually have some sort of wall clock on them. So I wouldn't worry too much.
 
I know this is unrelated but what do u do with your cell phone. It says no electronic devices are allowed. Im thinking of just leaving my phone at home.
 
so i know this topic is probably getting old. but it would really help if i can have my digital watch. if not..i guess i'll do with just an analog watch too.

so one last question about this before i shut up...would it be risky to try to bring in a digital watch that has a timer? like if they didn't say anything when i checked in but catch me using one during the test...would i get disqualified? or would it pretty much be no big deal if no one said anything at the check in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you guys are making too big of a deal out of this.

Bring your watch or whatever in, and if the proctors won't let you, then leave it in your bag. I highly, highly doubt a proctor is going to penalize you just by you looking at a watch without warning, and even then, you getting penalized for looking at a timer on your watch is so unlikely and unreasonable.

And anyways, you can always *ask* the proctors, and the worst thing they can say is no.