This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

de Ribas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
4th year. About to start residency. While on elective medicine and private practice rotation at one location, I have been told multiples times that they want me to come back there to work for them after I am done with residency.
I have personally met the CEO of the hospital and the CMO. Both were very welcoming and seriously asked me to come back for work. Gave their contact information.
Also met ortho, anesthesia and Gen surg. All told me the same thing. Some gave me their personal phone numbers. They have a need for surgical pod. They have a wound center they need help at, surgical center and a hospital that serves around 60-80k population area. I was told I will be very busy.

I know I am 3 years out and a lot can change. I am seriously considering going there for work after I am done with residency. When would be a good time to seriously sit down with CEO and talk about possible contract information?

Thanks for your input.
Now that’s how you hustle. Good job. Keep in touch as often as you can. I doubt you can sign something this many years in advance. Likely start of PGY-3 will work. This is why I don’t feel bad for the graduating residents and fellow that ask me about job leads 4 months before they finish. Nobody gets spoon fed.

It is not as uncommon as you think to have an agreement fairly early. A decent amount of MD fellows even sign on for a group or hospital job even before the 1-2yr fellowship starts (both surgical spec like Vasc or Onco or ortho spec fellows, etc... or non-op like Endo, Rad fellowship, path fellows, etc). They do that both for credentialing and for logistic/marketing reasons.

For DPMs, I would say signing sometime later in 2nd year is about right to sign and finalize (so you could interview and discuss compensation earlier in 2nd year). I had a couple classmates who were almost certainly going to work at their hometown hospital, hometown DPM group, or their parent's DPM offices after training, but they still explored a few other jobs during 2nd year before... doing what they were 99% to do all along anyways. If nothing else, that will give you perspective and insight from having seen a few other situations and compensation setups.

Good work on making connections early. You do want to be a bit discreet about it simply because there are always some unfortunate ppl who will underbid you or try to sneak in for most good jobs (any career, but esp podiatry), but that's doubtful to be an issue if you have cultivated the personal connection and keep the contact up. You don't want to chance that, though. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
4th year. About to start residency. While on elective medicine and private practice rotation at one location, I have been told multiples times that they want me to come back there to work for them after I am done with residency.
I have personally met the CEO of the hospital and the CMO. Both were very welcoming and seriously asked me to come back for work. Gave their contact information.
Also met ortho, anesthesia and Gen surg. All told me the same thing. Some gave me their personal phone numbers. They have a need for surgical pod. They have a wound center they need help at, surgical center and a hospital that serves around 60-80k population area. I was told I will be very busy.

I know I am 3 years out and a lot can change. I am seriously considering going there for work after I am done with residency. When would be a good time to seriously sit down with CEO and talk about possible contract information?

Thanks for your input.
If its a fair offer (MGMA + benefits) and an area you want to live (also family/future family) in then yes I would sit down with them and sign as soon as they will let you.

Having your residency to only concentrate on learning and doing resident duties and nothing else would be a major stress reducer during an already stressful time. I cant remember exactly but I think I got my current contract roughly 1.5 years into residency. I signed during my 2nd year (towards the end). Early signing for a fair offer made my 3rd year very enjoyable.

On the contrary, If its an area you're NOT interested in and you're emotionally tied due to a flattering early offer then keep up discussions but dont sign anything. A lot will change in 3 years and its hard to predict what you want in 3 years from now. As much as its made out to be impossible on here hospital/MSG jobs are out there. Lots of them. I know of 4 right now. They are harder for new grads because everyone wants someone with experience but they still exist.

Does anyone have most recent MGMA showing podiatry compensation?

Thanks

I don’t but if you are not making 280-310k base salary your first year out then the hospital is getting a really good deal on your services.

280-310k is the median salary for surgical podiatry. $45-50 per wRVU is the most common rate I see in hospital contracts.

Does anyone have most recent MGMA showing podiatry compensation?

Thanks
An attorney recently sent this to me when I had him review a PP contract. Not sure if it’s applicable to hospital stuff, but it may still help.

Attachments

• D8ED7E98-A34A-4CEA-B791-A06D182199D9.jpeg
    D8ED7E98-A34A-4CEA-B791-A06D182199D9.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 1 users
An attorney recently sent this to me when I had him review a PP contract. Not sure if it’s applicable to hospital stuff, but it may still help.
Yeah that is general should be podiatry :rra or foot and ankle surgery or something like that. Numbers higher

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.