How has your life changed with COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagrxm2000

Walgreens enthusiast. Called the peak in Bitcoin.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I still work full time. However I've been solely working the second shift so I can stay home with the kids while my wife works.

Members don't see this ad.

Decline in prescription volume. People are afraid of picking up their prescriptions. This will make precarious job market even worse in a long term for pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't do things we took for granted before like going to the library, park, stores, playdates, gatherings with friends and family, the gym.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I work in a Coumadin clinic. The number of patients has gone way down . Management is seeing if we can transition to drive thru INR testing. In the meantime, I'm the only one leaving the house since everyone in the family is studying or working from home. I signed up for the health system labor pool for Covid19 preparations to get more hours ( I am on call).

I wish script volume died.

Besides the obvious, my life has not changed all that much.

My only uncertainty right now is rent money from my tenants.

I am glad we have a sizable backyard to roam in times like this.

Now is the time to step up. Work extra hard for the next 3 years. Make as much money as you can and invest wisely.

told the scheduler to contact me for emergency only/ last resort.
being prn/early semi-retired in the "crisis" is actually easier/less panic than I thought.

watching a lot of TV and reading, cooking
GF still working 40+ hours as rph, lots of call outs at her pharmacy though

I bought a boat load of exercise equipment. Got a ton of $$ refunds due to cancelled trips. Rediscovered my local park and hiking trails (man it's beautiful out there).

Reactions: 5 users
I have no commute anymore, and it's a bit hard to maintain structure in my days. I miss the gym, the library, and going to the city on weekends for shows and dinners. And now that the realtors are prohibited from doing pretty much anything, I have no idea when I will be able to sell my house as my buyers backed out right before the contract was signed... I was going to move to Boston on Monday, I postponed it to April 20 when this situation was first announced, and now I postponed it to mid-May...

No traffic at 9 and 5pm.

I can't go to my favorite restaurants. Can't hangout with friends and risk getting infected. It sucks.

It's slow in the pharmacy.

Walgreens sent info saying they expect this to last at least until the end of May or June.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
i lost $5500 on plane tickets for an international trip that i had planned. 3rd party travel site i purchased from hasn't responded to any of my emails/calls :cigar:

i lost $5500 on plane tickets for an international trip that i had planned. 3rd party travel site i purchased from hasn't responded to any of my emails/calls :cigar:

That money could have went toward your student loans!

Members don't see this ad :)
Walgreens sent info saying they expect this to last at least until the end of May or June.

It is not going away. It will come back for another swing when winter comes.

• Wow
Hopefully by that time we will have vaccine and symptomatic treatment developed.

One thing I have always admired about science is its ability to step up and rise to the occasion when there is a critical need.

Hopefully by that time we will have vaccine and symptomatic treatment developed.

One thing I have always admired about science is its ability to step up and rise to the occasion when there is a critical need.

Expect 12-18 months

My family is stuck at home so I am now the designated shopper. I already have two COVID patients that I know about in my pharmacy and we are rural and many hours from the nearest metropolitan areas. I’m wondering how much of a risk I am to my family. I really don’t want to spread it to them if I get sick.

Still go to work (night shift). Come home and sleep. Off on weekends. Rinse and repeat. Even during normal times I'm socially isolated so this is nothing new to me at all. Pandemic? What pandemic?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Just dispute the card charge

Unless you paid cash, which is really dumb

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Still go to work (night shift). Come home and sleep. Off on weekends. Rinse and repeat. Even during normal times I'm socially isolated so this is nothing new to me at all. Pandemic? What pandemic?

Is your schedule 5on/2off? That sounds hard to adjust to.

I basically have zero hobbies now (used to do martial arts and boardgaming). Doing this stuff online or my myself in the apartment is not the same. Cant stand it really. :/

Yes. I've gotten used to it....

Decline in prescription volume. People are afraid of picking up their prescriptions. This will make precarious job market even worse in a long term for pharmacists.

Anyone worry that your hours would be cut?

I'd take a cut voluntarily. But if you aren't PIC in retail why wouldn't you expect a cut?

I absolutely expect cuts in operating hours to persist beyond "Wave 1"

increased volume. Also more diapers to change inside and outside of the pharmacy

• Haha
Literally - 100% of my job has moved to my home. I entirely work from home now. At first it was kinda nice, but now I am starting to realize that humans were not meant to stay inside 100% of the time.

I am the kind of guy that thrives on positive feedback and watching my work being put into action. Working from home has me feeling like I’m doing a terrible job and I don’t like how I feel on a daily basis.

On the other hand though - I am very thankful that I do not dispense anymore. I just want to thank all of my peers here who continue to dispense in this weird time. You guys have some serious balls, or maybe it’s just loans that need to be repaid... who knows - I’m any case your still doing it.

Reactions: 4 users
That sounds terrible. Is there at least a financial incentive (for example, work 32 hours, paid for 40 hours)?
The incentive was the job got me the f#ck out of retail. What other incentive did I need? Plus I'm probably the last one who would get laid off since everyone else has gotten used to not being on call overnight.....

I work for a PBM. Working from home, which is great and I feel really lucky to be able to do so but I feel bad denying any prior authorizations right now.

I just received a written order an hour ago that I'm going to be here in #*$(ing West Virginia for another month although my tour was supposed to end tomorrow after 60 days of involuntary assignment to this work. I miss my wife. I miss sleeping in my own home. I miss cooking for myself (the food served here is fine, it is just not the sort of food that I would normally care to eat for extended periods of time, especially as there is not enough rice). I miss good-natured, nonracist, reasonable people (which is definitely not the case in the community where the center is to the point that there are explicit instructions not to comingle with the community). I am going to miss the restaurants that are going to die. I am not going to miss the bankrupt neighbors who overleveraged and got crushed by the stock market or their businesses going under without enough reserves.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I just received a written order an hour ago that I'm going to be here in #*$(ing West Virginia for another month although my tour was supposed to end tomorrow after 60 days of involuntary assignment to this work. I miss my wife. I miss sleeping in my own home. I miss cooking for myself (the food served here is fine, it is just not the sort of food that I would normally care to eat for extended periods of time, especially as there is not enough rice). I miss good-natured, nonracist, reasonable people (which is definitely not the case in the community where the center is to the point that there are explicit instructions not to comingle with the community).

I'ma guess Mingo or Boone County. Or Huntington. That town is the apocalypse IRL.

On the bright side, you can get Tudor's Biscuit World.

I just received a written order an hour ago that I'm going to be here in #*$(ing West Virginia for another month although my tour was supposed to end tomorrow after 60 days of involuntary assignment to this work. I miss my wife. I miss sleeping in my own home. I miss cooking for myself (the food served here is fine, it is just not the sort of food that I would normally care to eat for extended periods of time, especially as there is not enough rice). I miss good-natured, nonracist, reasonable people (which is definitely not the case in the community where the center is to the point that there are explicit instructions not to comingle with the community). I am going to miss the restaurants that are going to die. I am not going to miss the bankrupt neighbors who overleveraged and got crushed by the stock market or their businesses going under without enough reserves.

"Take me home, country roads..."

I'ma guess Mingo or Boone County. Or Huntington. That town is the apocalypse IRL.

On the bright side, you can get Tudor's Biscuit World.

Berkeley County, although the other area in Ashland has the same troubles as well. We're not city slickers or particularly offensive people, but it's made real clear when we go into town that we are definitely not welcome. The town that is next to me was definitely a Sundown town back in the day. I have strong ties to East Texas in the 1st Congressional District (Gohmert), and this is far worse.

Anyone worry that your hours would be cut?
At our hospital we have actually had to cancel PDO in anticipation - if anything (baring getting sick) our hours if anything will go up - but then again, it is all about where you work and what you do.

In retail I could see a temporary decrease in hours to make up for lost business, but once the smoke settles it will be business as normal - not that normal is good

At our hospital we have actually had to cancel PDO in anticipation - if anything (baring getting sick) our hours if anything will go up - but then again, it is all about where you work and what you do.

In retail I could see a temporary decrease in hours to make up for lost business, but once the smoke settles it will be business as normal - not that normal is good

I see some people deciding to give mail order a try. It is not efficient for a retail to dispense and then have someone pick it for delivery. I see a big push for mail order pharmacies.

I see some people deciding to give mail order a try. It is not efficient for a retail to dispense and then have someone pick it for delivery. I see a big push for mail order pharmacies.

They call us and we deliver. It's not hard

The hiring process for a new grad has not changed. Still trying to find a job, cannot find anything. I thought COVID-19 would help increase demand for pharmacists. Nope.

They call us and we deliver. It's not hard

Like I said...retail is not the best place to do delivery. You want something centralize like mail order pharmacies. If I were CVS, I would redirect all delivery orders to my mail order pharmacies.

The hiring process for a new grad has not changed. Still trying to find a job, cannot find anything. I thought COVID-19 would help increase demand for pharmacists. Nope.

This is expected after the initial surge. Besides people not picking up their medications, they are also not seeing their doctors. By staying at home, they are less likely to get injured or infected.

i can't believe how much reddit is blowing up on the wagz reddit of all the workers complaining. they're all front end cashiers tho. they have no concept or grasp that if wagz cut down their operating hours and closed down stores during the pandemic, most would likely never go back to normal after that. they won't have a job to complain about. i have a sick feeling in snap of a finger retail pharmacies could make all pharmacies one shift/one rph, effectively cutting the demand for rph in half just like that.

I'm working from home 100%, which is fine, but they have also closed all state and local parks so I'm sort of losing my mind. Working on my quarantine beard as well.

Who lives in an apt or condo? I think I would go crazy

I'm working from home 100%, which is fine, but they have also closed all state and local parks so I'm sort of losing my mind. Working on my quarantine beard as well.
I was going to work on the beard, but then I remembered a n95 doesn't work well with them, so I guess I have to shave :-(

Like I said...retail is not the best place to do delivery. You want something centralize like mail order pharmacies. If I were CVS, I would redirect all delivery orders to my mail order pharmacies.

The process is actually extremely easy

I'm now 100% WFH, no field travel. My husband is also working from home and my kids are here too. It's a ****show a lot of the time and makes me wish I lived somewhere it's not still snowing.

Berkeley County, although the other area in Ashland has the same troubles as well. We're not city slickers or particularly offensive people, but it's made real clear when we go into town that we are definitely not welcome. The town that is next to me was definitely a Sundown town back in the day. I have strong ties to East Texas in the 1st Congressional District (Gohmert), and this is far worse.

Umm...I hate to break it to you, but you are pretty much in the Washington DC suburbs. If that scares you, don't try to go into actual Appalachian West Virginia.

Lol.