How long to study for PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

halfempty84

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long do you study for the PCATs? If possible, could you tell which books you found most helpful in prepping?

Thanks.
 
I found the Kaplan book most helpful. There was a lot of good bio stuff to review. The Cliff's prep tests were good to review areas you needed to improve in. Also, I can't stress the importance of using the Harcourt Practice Tests...Those are key...Let's hope my results pay off--I just took the PCAT on Saturday...

How long do you study for the PCATs? If possible, could you tell which books you found most helpful in prepping?

Thanks.
 
Study MAINLY biology, calc, stats, basic algebra, general chemistry 1 and 2, and organic. Verbal and reading comprehension require practice too, but not as much studying in my opinion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spent a couple hours a week studying during the second half of the Spring semester, then once the semester was over I studied 2-3 hours a day for a month until the test. (June '08 test) I mainly used the Kaplan book, but had an additional book for Calculus and Organic Chemistry.
 
I used the kaplan book and bought some audio tapes.. the tapes didn't help me that much. I just listened to them once and typed out some notes, but the book helped because it had practice problems. Then again, I know of a guy who didn't buy ANY books or anything - he just studied past notes from core science classes and got an amazing score. The book is more just a compact/organized version of all your collective science notes.
 
why some people say kaplan book is not helpful? they said most of their bio questions came from microbiology and some anatomy. kaplan doesn't cover these.

Each PCAT exam is different, so the August exam may have more microbiology while the October exam may have more anatomy. My exam actually had more ecology than I expected.

The Kaplan book is a great general overview for the biology section.
 
The amount that you need to study depends on your current knowledge. If you're an average student, I would say study at least a month and a half straight but if you've retained a lot of your materials from your pre-pharm classes, you can probably get away with 3 weeks.