How many functional groups should I know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

charles123

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there,
I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the functional groups I need to memorize for the chemistry portion of the PCAT? On the practice exam, one of them was thiol, which means they aren't just restricting it to the typical ones..
 
For my Ochem class, thiol was a fairly common one 😕 But then again, my prof was kind of insane.

I wouldn't worry about mass spec/NMR things... I don't think they'd put that one there & have never come across one while I was studying for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there,
I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the functional groups I need to memorize for the chemistry portion of the PCAT? On the practice exam, one of them was thiol, which means they aren't just restricting it to the typical ones..

This reminds me of one time in biochem when someone asked the teacher whats in the final.

Her response: everything

That was priceless
 
So what are the main things from organic chem that you would expect to be on the PCAT?


Off the top of my head: nomenclature; SN2, SN1, E1 & E2 reactions; not sure but maybe some basic stuff on aromaticity especially Huckel's rule and nomenclature. I doubt you will see any stereochemistry but it might be helpful to familiarize your self with it.
 
Sort of off topic but what parts on general chemistry are not on the PCAT?
i know PV=NRT, oxidation-reduction, ionic/covalent, the 4 types of bonding, molairty, molality, nuclear chemistry, gas, liquid and solid stuff. anything else we have to know

ive studied ive memorized the entire pearson and kaplan tests but i feel like im gonna miss a lot of questions on the exam
 
Sort of off topic but what parts on general chemistry are not on the PCAT?
i know PV=NRT, oxidation-reduction, ionic/covalent, the 4 types of bonding, molairty, molality, nuclear chemistry, gas, liquid and solid stuff. anything else we have to know

ive studied ive memorized the entire pearson and kaplan tests but i feel like im gonna miss a lot of questions on the exam


Might help you not to simply memorize the material but to understand how they work.
 
Memorize all of them even the weird ones. In my test they asked me about some weird ones that I never thought about learning. They asked very simple questions about them but you still need to know them, not knowing them is just getting a very easy question wrong.
 
Memorize all of them even the weird ones. In my test they asked me about some weird ones that I never thought about learning. They asked very simple questions about them but you still need to know them, not knowing them is just getting a very easy question wrong.

What type of weird questions they asked like nitro, amino, or other complex nomenclature?