how much harder does OMM make your life?

Started by minst
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m starting second year and I will say that I like OMM. Yes it is a time sink that MD schools don’t have but it is minimal and I think I am getting a real benefit from it.

I came into med school with lots of reoccurring headaches and I took NSAIDS like candy. Now I know more about ergonomics and how to address my tension with ME or counterstrain and my headaches are significantly improved. Over the summer break I used counterstrain and ME on my parents and significantly helped their complaints.

I recently shadowed an MD who had a patient with a headache complaint they felt was MSK related and the MD referred the patient to one of their DO colleagues for OMM.

I feel like OMM is a valuable skill set and some of the techniques are helpful and clinically relevant. Is the scope of OMM specific and narrow? Yes. Is it bloated with a history of irrelevant material? Also yes, but so is medicine more broadly. Is it a valuable skill for me to have? Absolutely. I feel like my palpation skills and comfort with clinically relevant anatomy, and examining a patient is really strong after just one year of OMM lab.

If you look for the clinically relevant parts of it and give it some attention, it will be a benefit to your training. Or you can view it as a waste of time and you won’t get anything out of it.
 
Last edited:
I’m starting second year and I will say that I like OMM. Yes it is a time sink that MD schools don’t have but it is minimal and I think I am getting a real benefit from it.

I came into med school with lots of reoccurring headaches and I took NSAIDS like candy. Now I know more about ergonomics and how to address my tension with ME or counterstrain and my headaches are significantly improved. Over the summer break I used counterstrain and ME on my parents and significantly helped their complaints.

I recently shadowed an MD who had a patient with a headache complaint they felt was MSK related and the MD referred the patient to one of their DO colleagues for OMM.

I feel like OMM is a valuable skill set and some of the techniques are helpful and clinically relevant. Is the scope of OMM specific and narrow? Yes. Is it bloated with a history of irrelevant material? Also yes, but so is medicine more broadly. Is it a valuable skill for me to have? Absolutely. I feel like my palpation skills and comfort with clinically relevant anatomy, and examining a patient is really strong after just one year of OMM lab.

If you look for the clinically relevant parts of it and give it some attention, it will be a benefit to your training. Or you can view it as a waste of time and you won’t get anything out of it.
That last sentence is what I was getting at. I think there are lessons you can take from anything you learn. A youth I worked with taught me to crochet. Not technically clinically relevant but it helps develop fine motor skills which will make suturing easier. I worked in vet med for many years, different species so a lot of the medicine isn't applicable, but I learned how to get a proper history when the patient themselves can't tell us what is wrong. This will be helpful when I start working with peds. I think it is up to the individual how they process and apply knowledge. I have to do it anyway, maybe I'm too optimistic/naive as a first year but I'd rather see the benefit than just brush it off as a waste of time.
 
Honestly I'm glad OMM has given me opportunities to hone my palpation skills, above everything else that goes with it really. There are parts of it that I really don't put stock in (I just "play along" with cranial stuff because I know it's tested on COMLEX), but I do tend to use muscle energy on friends and family now and then. If anything, it can be an asset to bedside manner--Patients feel that you're taking time with them to examine what's giving them discomfort.
 
That last sentence is what I was getting at. I think there are lessons you can take from anything you learn. A youth I worked with taught me to crochet. Not technically clinically relevant but it helps develop fine motor skills which will make suturing easier. I worked in vet med for many years, different species so a lot of the medicine isn't applicable, but I learned how to get a proper history when the patient themselves can't tell us what is wrong. This will be helpful when I start working with peds. I think it is up to the individual how they process and apply knowledge. I have to do it anyway, maybe I'm too optimistic/naive as a first year but I'd rather see the benefit than just brush it off as a waste of time.
Indeed. Far better to light a candle than curse the darkness.