how much sleep do you get?

Started by AvB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AvB

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have a question for current neurosurgery residents. how much sleep do you get on average in a night? im considering neurosurgery and while i dont mind spending a lot of time in the hospital, im not so sure if i can deal with chronic sleep deprivation. how much sleep a night do you get, and how many days a month do you get off? thanks
 
i have a question for current neurosurgery residents. how much sleep do you get on average in a night? im considering neurosurgery and while i dont mind spending a lot of time in the hospital, im not so sure if i can deal with chronic sleep deprivation. how much sleep a night do you get, and how many days a month do you get off? thanks

yah its also same my question exactly
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Around 6 hours of sleep on average. Some nights no sleep. Some nights more. Usually I get 4 days off in the month.

i have a question for current neurosurgery residents. how much sleep do you get on average in a night? im considering neurosurgery and while i dont mind spending a lot of time in the hospital, im not so sure if i can deal with chronic sleep deprivation. how much sleep a night do you get, and how many days a month do you get off? thanks
 
I get two weekends off a month. Nights I'm not on call I get 4-6 hours. Nights I am on call I usually get around 0-4 hours, but what I do get is constantly interrupted by phone calls. We take home call, but I've had weekends where I have been at the hospital almost all weekend. It gets a little easier once you become a chief.

If you have doubts about sleep deprivation, you might want to try a few rotations and take call as if you're a resident. You will learn about what you're capable of.