This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FalesteenPrince

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think if it's a required not recommended class then you have to take it to be considered for admission. You could give them a call and ask if another class can take the place of microbio

Prerequisites are requirements, not recommendations. They will not consider you unless you have met their requirements. No questions asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
They wouldn't bother placing them as requirements if they did not deeply care about them.

I have all the prerequisites for my schools but a few of them say they want microbiology which I haven't taken. I just graduated so would they not consider me until I take it or is it no big deal to miss a class?

i agree. if the schools have them as a prereq then you probably need it. but you can always call and ask directly!!

For one of the schools I am interested in, Microbiology with lab is required. I am taking Microbiology next semester, but without lab as it is not required for my major, the lab component is supposed to be a killer, and the extra two credits would pack my final semester so tightly that leaving campus for interviews would be really hard. I entered a future course in Spring of 2018 after graduation at a CC to take the course with lab and plan to drop it if I am rejected by that school. I wonder if this is a good strategy just to get the application in. Guess I'll call the school on Monday.

Prerequisites are requirements, not recommendations. They will not consider you unless you have met their requirements. No questions asked.

this is incorrect. schools I've emailed have said one can apply without prereqs so long as they are completed prior to matriculation.

Reactions: 1 users
I have all the prerequisites for my schools but a few of them say they want microbiology which I haven't taken. I just graduated so would they not consider me until I take it or is it no big deal to miss a class?
If it is required, you will still get interview(granted you have good stats for the school) and you can take it up till matriculation.
If recommended, don't worry about it

this is incorrect. schools I've emailed have said one can apply without prereqs so long as they are completed prior to matriculation.
Exactly. You MUST do prerequisites prior to matriculatimg. There is no debate to that.