answered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winspice333

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
answered

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I am a little confused about how to count hours for AMCAS.

I am an EMT volunteering at my town's ambulance corp - do I count the monthly meetings I have to attend for my corp as clinical volunteering hours, or do I strictly count hours I have been on call?

Likewise, I teach ESL - can I count the time I spend preparing for class (at least one hour of preparation for every hour of class), or do I just count the hours I spend teaching?

The time spent in the monthly meetings are on official record, while the time I spend preparing for class is not, if that matters.

I appreciate any advice, thank you!
Don't count the monthly meetings as clinical volunteering.

Preparing for class (like making lesson plans) absolutely counts as volunteering, so you should count both the teaching and preparation.

What is in the official records and what is not doesn't really matter. Unless you make up some ridiculous lie on your application like claiming you volunteered 3,000 hours in one year, you most likely won't be checked/verified. You will need to list a contact for each AMCAS activity, but they can obviously explain the fact that you took time to prepare for each lesson.