How to pick a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As it stands, I have two post-interview acceptances, two post interview rejections, and a few more schools in "limbo" (have received interview invites but not post-interview news). What do you consider when choosing a program? Fundingwise, both seem about equal ("can't guarantee, but most people get assistantships [all with tuition waivers]"), though one has offered a fellowship first year. How important is curriculum? One seems more assessment focused than the other? Both have good internship match rates (more than 90% APA). One has a shorter time to completion. One has a better POI research match, but the other has a more profilic POI/general faculty (I'm pretty balanced in research/clinical focus but would like to publish).

Been there, done that advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably do a pro and con list for each, and then flip a coin. ;)

It can be a hard decision, but you'll want to give yourself some time to weigh the options. I'm going through a similiar experience with fellowships, and I've had much better luck if I step away from it for a couple of days.

It really depends on what you want to do in the long-run. The fellowship the first year would be very nice because you would be able to concentrate on your classes and/or research without having to worry about assistantship duties.

I am very interested in research, so I would probably go with the better POI research match (provided there is a big enough difference between the two POIs). I would also consider which POI would help me publish more. I would decide based upon which POI I believe I would be happier with as well.

I have heard from a lot of individuals that happiness as a graduate student is often tied to the kind of mentor you have as a student....how often can you meet with the mentor? What are the publishing and presentation opportunities? Etc...how happy are the current students with the POI? Some professors are very flexible and meet with you often. Some are not....I recently visited a school where a 4th year stated that he/she has never met with his/her mentor one on one. Something like this would concern me, even if I wasn't interested in research in the long-run.

However, you also stated you are really interested in the clinical aspect as well. I would find out the types of clients you would be able to see at each place and weigh them based on your interests and long-term career goals. Some places I've interviewed at have psych clinics where they see a very wide range of individuals (depression, schizophrenia, bipolar, LD, etc). Other clinics don't offer such a range of patients.

If they are basically equal, I would also consider location. While you may not have much life as a grad student, there will be times to socialize. What does each city offer? How far is each from family/friends?

What kinds of jobs are past students in right now? If you know your career path, this can be especially helpful.

I'm sure there is way more to consider beyond these....hopefully others will add.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they are basically equal, I would also consider location.

i definitely agree with this. when i was deciding between 2 schools, everyone told me that location wasn't important, so don't base a decision on location. now that i'm at the geographically less desirable school, i wish i hadn't listened to that advice. the weather here makes me miserable. i'm from the south and i'm having a hard time with the (long) winters here. good luck!

did the students seem happier at one school? some students like to joke around sarcastically at the work load and challenges of the program, while others seem generally happy with their program. i always try to gage the happiness of the students.

did the students seem happier at one school? some students like to joke around sarcastically at the work load and challenges of the program, while others seem generally happy with their program. i always try to gage the happiness of the students.

I agree with this a lot. Was there a school where you felt a stronger connection with the other students, especially future labmates?

As it stands, I have two post-interview acceptances, two post interview rejections, and a few more schools in "limbo" (have received interview invites but not post-interview news). What do you consider when choosing a program? Fundingwise, both seem about equal ("can't guarantee, but most people get assistantships [all with tuition waivers]"), though one has offered a fellowship first year. How important is curriculum? One seems more assessment focused than the other? Both have good internship match rates (more than 90% APA). One has a shorter time to completion. One has a better POI research match, but the other has a more profilic POI/general faculty (I'm pretty balanced in research/clinical focus but would like to publish).

Been there, done that advice would be much appreciated!

Time to completion is important, but only if it's more than 1 year different on average between both schools and then it depends on all the other factors.

Tell you what to try... just as an experiment to see how you feel.

Take each item and rate the importance from 0 - 100%, for those items where there is a difference in favor of a program (match, money, or time) dummy code the school with the advantage as a 1 and the one without as a 0. Multiply the importance by the item and sum up each one.

Ask yourself... did this give me a clear winner from an objective standpoint, or do I disagree with this conclusion? Why?

The results may help resolve some ambiguity or identify passion for one program over the other. Give it a shot.

Mark

Reactions: 1 user

That's the big question mark for me--School A only does phone interviews, so I haven't seen it yet.

Location is kind of mixed--School B is in a better geographical location, but School A is in a better personal location (close to family, etc)

School A's curriculum is very assessment focused, though students can choose additional therapy classes/practica using electives. I'm wondering if a more assessment-focused curricula might rise eyes with internship sites.

Also, my POI at School A has a relatively "young" publication record in terms of peer-reviewed articles, while my POIs at School B are extremely well-established and well-respected.

So much to consider, though I'm thrilled to have this choice (and hopefully more soon).

Any advice of what questions to ask on a post-acceptance visit?

I feel your pain, I didnt expect to be in such a situation, as of now though my decision is even harder because both programs are in the same city, and there are goods and bads of both programs... I still have some interviews left so I think I am going to temporarily step away from the situation (since nothing official has come yet) and decide later... too much to think about at this time.

I feel your pain, I didnt expect to be in such a situation, as of now though my decision is even harder because both programs are in the same city, and there are goods and bads of both programs... I still have some interviews left so I think I am going to temporarily step away from the situation (since nothing official has come yet) and decide later... too much to think about at this time.

Just remember that APA says that you shouldn't hold on to more than 2 offers at the same time.

Just remember that APA says that you shouldn't hold on to more than 2 offers at the same time.

Its a little more technical than that, 1) things have to be in writing which they are not, 2) you are allowed to hold onto offers until after an immanent interview... hence why I said in my above post that things arent in writing yet...

I never heard about that kind of rule being out there.... not that it doesnt make a lot of sense! Maybe this means that I am missing other important "rules"... can someone please fill me in?
Thanks!

i would be mindful of holding onto extraneous offers because it creates a gridlock situation where schools are waiting to hear from you and waitlistees are waiting to hear from schools. schools and people on waitlists are waiting for decisions from accepted people before they can act. i guess i see it as a courtesy to the schools and students to inform them as early as possible. i say take as much time as you need to think about it, you know, but be proactive about decision making and dont wait until april 14th because you're afraid to make a decision or waiting for divine inspiration. another thing to conisder is that schools who know earlier may have a slight recruiting advantage (access to a larger pool of students who haven't accepted offers), so i also see telling a school early as a small thank you to the program.

not that 99% of yall didnt know this.. but id rather type it than imply we should do it just because the APA says so ;)

i would be mindful of holding onto extraneous offers because it creates a gridlock situation where schools are waiting to hear from you and waitlistees are waiting to hear from schools. schools and people on waitlists are waiting for decisions from accepted people before they can act. i guess i see it as a courtesy to the schools and students to inform them as early as possible. i say take as much time as you need to think about it, you know, but be proactive about decision making and dont wait until april 14th because you're afraid to make a decision or waiting for divine inspiration. another thing to conisder is that schools who know earlier may have a slight recruiting advantage (access to a larger pool of students who haven't accepted offers), so i also see telling a school early as a small thank you to the program.

not that 99% of yall didnt know this.. but id rather type it than imply we should do it just because the APA says so ;)

I definitely agree with you. However, for some of us, funding isn't offered at the time of acceptance. Nearly all students within this program do get funded, but I cannot accept the offer until I have funding in place, so I may be one of those people waiting until April 14th.

I definitely agree with you. However, for some of us, funding isn't offered at the time of acceptance. Nearly all students within this program do get funded, but I cannot accept the offer until I have funding in place, so I may be one of those people waiting until April 14th.

I agree with much of what people have said on here, this is just common logic though, do not pass up on offers until you have things in writing, unofficial offers are great but they are just that, unofficial... I would imagine it be rare that someone not get funding after being told they should, but can you imagine that rare occurrence when you turn down all other programs for a given program only to find out you wont actually be receiving funding? blah that would be terrible.

I never heard about that kind of rule being out there.... not that it doesnt make a lot of sense! Maybe this means that I am missing other important "rules"... can someone please fill me in?
Thanks!

I don't think it's a hard and fast rule but more like appropriate etiquette if you're not seriously considering all of the offers you have. When I got my 2nd offer, it was from a school that was a much better fit for me than my 1st offer. As soon as I had it in writing, I declined the 1st one. It didn't make sense for me to be holding onto it when I knew I wouldn't be going there. Plus, now hopefully they have plenty of time to find someone who is a better fit.