This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

localmotion2189

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yikes! I hope you can get this figured out. This is a nightmare. Best of luck!

Hi, I am a soon to be graduate under the HPSP. Unfortunately, I was not able to complete a class and was recommended, according to an email, to be separated from the US Navy. This was very disappointing and came as a surprise to me because I was informed of this just as I was about to complete the requirement. I was informed that the reason for my separation was due to substandard academic performance because I was required to repeat my first academic year. Also, I did not graduate when most students in my class did this past June 2018 and had my graduation date extended one extra quarter. However, I have a difficult time agreeing with this decision because as of last Friday (9/14), I have completed the requirement and will become a fully certified dentist in just a few days. I am extremely concerned and disappointed of the situation I am currently in and had a few questions that I would very much appreciate some input on:

1.) Has anyone heard of an appeal process for this? I called the head of student programs for the US Navy HPSP and was told that I would have the option of sending documents to "PERS" (if I spelled this correctly). If I complete the requirement and have strong letters of support from faculty members from my school, could I expect a good chance that this decision to separate me could be overturned? Or is having this appeal process simply just a formality?

2.) Do you know, by any chance, what kinds of things are looked at in evaluation of my accession as a US Navy dentist in the HPSP program? What would increase my chances of having this decision overturned?

3.) Should I contact a lawyer about this matter?

It has been my dream to serve the US Navy since I began school. Needless to say, this decision by the HPSP program has been very devastating to me. Therefore, any input or advice anyone has regarding the situation I am in would be really appreciated. Thank you very much and take care everyone.

you also need to know the financial penalties if they won't let you stay in.....those can be significant

While I can't speak for the Navy, in the Army there is an extensive due process that happens in cases such as this. The best advice I can give an Army student going through this at such a late date, is to find some sort of employment until the issue is settled - which can, and does take an extremely long time. While you find yourselves basically in purgatory, waiting to see if you will or won't be accessed onto active duty, there are still things like rent, food, and most likely, undergraduate loans to be re-paid.