HSCP

Started by Cooki3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cooki3

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

So I am pursuing a scholarship through the Navy (HSCP) and I had a question about staying back to be a fellow:

Is it allowed to stay back a year to teach and be a fellow (between OMS-3 and OMS4)? I wasn't able to get an HPSP scholarship so not all my loans will be covered but since my school wipes a year away by being a fellow I was thinking of doing that if it was allowed.

Thanks!
 
I imagine the answer would be no for two reasons. First, the scholarship requires you to be a full-time student, I am assuming that you would not be taking any courses during your fellow year? Secondly, the scholarship explicitly covers medical education and nothing more. And while the fellow year sounds medically related it is distinctly different; almost analogous to a research year. I am currently on the HSCP scholarship and inquired about the possibilities of doing the MD/MBA program at my institution and was denied for that reason. But it never hurts to ask your recruiter.