Hyperacusis?

Started by 4chan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

4chan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have hyperacusis, and I realise this isn't the best place to ask for advice. I have been to two doctors within the last month for it, and it's empirical to me that not many doctors are familiar with the syptom. I am making an appointment with an Audiologist/ENT, and was wondering if Audiologists (commonly) have a wide or any knowledge on the subject of Hyperacusis.

(If not, will I be reffered for a third time to a specialist then >.<!?)

Thanks
 
As a student in a Doctor of Audiology program, I have been introduced to the topic but a more thorough explanation of hyperacusis is provided later in my coursework. Hyperacusis is within the scope of practice of an Audiologist. I hope your Audiologist or ENT is able to provide you with the information you need.
 
Thank you, this helps me feel much more confident that I wont be tossed over again. 😛

(appt. in two days 😳)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hope your appt went OK. It sounds like a particularly nasty thing to me - I was once tested for it, as apparently with my pattern of hearing loss it's very common. I don't have it, but I do have an incredibly high tolerance for very loud sounds. The audiologist wouldn't take the sounds any louder for fear of damaging my already pretty meagre hearing further, and I was just sitting there, saying, "Yes it's loud. No it doesn't hurt".
 
I know it's kinda late to reply about how my Appt. went, but it went actually okay. I'm a little dissapointed about my results because apparently I have, Hyperacusis,Selective Soft Sound Sensitivity, and Tinnitus!

I'm doing better with this Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (sp?). Well thanks for your advice, and I'm glad I found a specialist within my area.