• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

I need more "safeties" on my list... any help or critique?

Latteandaprayer

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2017
    c/sGPA: 3.8/3.68
    MCAT: 520
    State: Michigan (I know it has less sway for dual degree)
    Race: White
    Research: 3 years, 4 years after gap year; 2500 hours so far
    Publications/Presentations: 1 first-author publication, 1 conference

Community service: 200 hours at a soup kitchen
    Clinical: 230 hours in ED and pediatric physical therapy
    Employment: Caregiver for family member; lab assistant
    Shadowing: 50 hours with PCP

ECs: Theater club, Conflict Resolution Chair, director/stage manager all 4 years

These are the schools I plan on adding, I've already been verified, I just need to add these schools.

Albert Einstein
    Boston University
    Case Western
    Columbia University*
    Hofstra
    Drexel
    Emory
    Harvard*
    Icahn (Sinai)
    Johns Hopkins*
    Temple
    Michigan State
    New York Medical College**
    NYU*
    Tufts
    Tulane
    UChicago*
    UColorado, Denver
    UMiami, Leonard Miller
    UMichigan
    Weill Cornell*
    Yale*

* = mega reach, I know
    ** = I realize it does not have a direct MD/PhD program, but the location is attractive.

About the Ads

turtle114

2+ Year Member
    Jun 2, 2017
    1. MD/PhD Student
      In my opinion that is a bit too broad. "cell bio" is related to almost all of biomedical research. I suggest picking 1 direction or 1 or 2 and going back and forth depending on which is stronger at that particular school.

My stats and list were pretty similar to yours with a lot of "safe" schools. This caused me not to attend quite a few interviews later in the cycle and was a bit of a $ waste. Out of Hofstra, Drexel, Temple, NYMC, Tufts, Tulane, Miami I would pick 3-4 that are particularly appealing (ex. good location for you, good research in your area of interest, etc.) The rest you can replace with more matches, especially in the T20-30 range if you want to stay safe.

Reactions: 1 user

Latteandaprayer

2+ Year Member
      Sep 17, 2017
        In my opinion that is a bit too broad. "cell bio" is related to almost all of biomedical research. I suggest picking 1 direction or 1 or 2 and going back and forth depending on which is stronger at that particular school.

My stats and list were pretty similar to yours with a lot of "safe" schools. This caused me not to attend quite a few interviews later in the cycle and was a bit of a $ waste. Out of Hofstra, Drexel, Temple, NYMC, Tufts, Tulane, Miami I would pick 3-4 that are particularly appealing (ex. good location for you, good research in your area of interest, etc.) The rest you can replace with more matches, especially in the T20-30 range if you want to stay safe.

Thanks. Ultimately I want to be involved in ER (stress)-related diseases. I thought they were asking what I want my program to be, and that’s cell bio.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.