I really need your help - masters/postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moonshineCH3OH

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize that there are many threads on this issue, but I feel like my situation is a lot less black and white.

Here are my stats:

ugrad: jhu
bcpm: 3.28
overall: 3.35
mcat: waiting for results, but I definitely f'ed that **** up, so a retake is probable
other: good EC's, clinical volunteering, research & pubs, and all that other crap

Two choices:

One-year thesis-based M.S. @ very well-respected university (def. not Podunk U.) or one-year "enhancement" Post-Bacc @ Harvard Extension (Health Careers Program)

Facts:

I am very aware that only post-bacc can increase my ugrad stats, which is clearly very important, if not critical. Schools screen based on ugrad only, some won't even consider grad gpa's - at all, and some will consider grad if ugrad gpa's are borderline. Also, research-based grad programs can be viewed unfavorably b/c everyone knows that research courses are b.s. courses and are easy A's (= inflated grad gpa).

Questions:

1.) Are my ugrad gpa's "bad enough" to completely give up a respectable degree in favor of another year of classes? (Note that I contacted the director of the Harvard program, and he was actually leaning toward the M.S. However, my premed advisors said post-bacc. My P.I., who interviews applicants to JHU Med, said M.S. I don't know who is giving me good advice at this point.)

2.) If I get all 24 credits of A/A-, bcpm moves from 3.28 to 3.47. Overall goes to about a 3.5. Significant??? Those numbers would still be slightly below average. On the other hand, the classes will be difficult and I could easily screw everything up, resulting in a complete disaster. In that case, I would really really regret giving up the M.S., because that would have greatly strengthened my credentials for "Option B," a PhD program.

It is possible that I performed very well on the MCAT, and in that case my current gpa's would be acceptable, and then I would pursue the M.S. I am not considering any "if" scenarios, because I need to make a decision asap.

If any of you have been in this situation, I'd greatly appreciate your wisdom. Thanks!
 
My stats prior to postbac were similar to yours (although I already had two advanced degrees). Two years of postbac took me to 3.55/3.8, at which point I think I'm a fairly competitive candidate. I think you'd be better off with the postbac than a M.S. but that's just my opinion.