I'm kind of scared.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tyler Reichard

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I'm thankful that you took time out of your day to help me in this situation.

I'm not very good in math... as of right now I'm in Academic Geometry in High School, although it's a 97%

My overall QPA is a 3.6.. and I make honor role every 9 weeks.

I've noticed in many posts online that to become a Dentist you HAVE to be great at math, and I don't believe I am.

I've been confused lately on this whole thing. It's either a Dental Hygienist or a Dentist.

I love this field with all my heart, I love the fact that I can help people and maybe ease their fear of the Dentist. I'd like to return that to the world.

I'm just scared of failing..

Please help...

a desperate teenager,

- Tyler
 
Good at math? That's crazy talk. You need to know enough to not suck up the QR section of the DAT. But even that will be different by the time you get there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need to be good enough at math to get good grades in general chemistry, stats, physics, and college level maths: calculus, trig, and algebra.

The more you do math the better you get at it. People are not "good" or "bad" at math. "Bad at math" is a concept that we have become comfortable with because we deemed it socially acceptable. In truth people are bad at math because they don't put in the effort.

In contrast, you'll find that it's rare an adult to openly admit they're "illiterate" or "bad at reading/spelling". think about that for a moment... it all comes down to study habits.

If you put in the effort you will do just fine in math or any other subject needed to get into dental school. Once you're in dental school you'll rarely, if ever, use any math beyond basic functions.

GL
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone,

Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do?

What's the pros and cons of Dentist and or Hygienist.
 
Thanks everyone,

Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do?

What's the pros and cons of Dentist and or Hygienist.
Even without you telling me, I could easily pick out who's a hygiene student and who's a dental student if I just talked to them or overheard them talking to each other for 1 minute.
 
You need to be good enough at math to get good grades in general chemistry, stats, physics, and college level maths: calculus, trig, and algebra.

The more you do math the better you get at it. People are not "good" or "bad" at math. "Bad at math" is a concept that we have become comfortable with because we deemed it socially acceptable. In truth people are bad at math because they don't put in the effort.

In contrast, you'll find that it's rare an adult to openly admit they're "illiterate" or "bad at reading/spelling". think about that for a moment... it all comes down to study habits.

If you put in the effort you will do just fine in math or any other subject needed to get into dental school. Once you're in dental school you'll rarely, if ever, use any math beyond basic functions.

GL

My people will beat the crap out of me if I say that I am 'bad at math'.

Tips: know some math rules (or at least know where to look up the info) then apply them by practice and practice....
 
you're gonna need some math skills to get past physics, DAT trig., and maybe calculus...
 
I guess, I'm just nervous.

My guidance counselor said that since my math skills are not very good, that I shouldn't get into the dental field because of the math. It kind of made me feel like crap inside.

but anyways,

thanks everyone.
 
Sounds like a foolish guidance counselor. Hell, you are not even in college yet. Start there, and see how you progress. I can tell you from my experience (anecdotal only) that I did much better in college than I did in high school.
 
Sounds like a foolish guidance counselor. Hell, you are not even in college yet. Start there, and see how you progress. I can tell you from my experience (anecdotal only) that I did much better in college than I did in high school.

^This.

Highschool GPA was 2.3
My undergrad is 3.44

You'll be fine.
 
Is anyone in need of clowns for birthday parties? I found a bunch hanging out at my high school's guidance counselor office.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad