Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm technically supposed to be PGY2 IM resident but I have been on remediation since PGY1 year. There were concerns about my clinical performance and knowledge since then. One attending didn’t like me and others started to see flaws in me it all became worse from that. Towards the end of PGY1 year, my PD actually talked about having me leave the program. However, because my performance improved somewhat towards the end of PGY 1 year, CCC decided to keep me but stated that they will make another decision about me six months later, which would be this December.
Our hospital policy is that PGY I residents are supposed to take step 3 by the end of their PGY1 year. But because of the stressful situation, I couldn’t take it by the end of June.
I’ve been doing OK all my rotations. One attending told me that I improved and now work like a second year but others think I’m still kind behind compared to my peers. I feel like it’s hard to break the preformed impression that attendings have about you so if you make even one little mistake it all goes to my PD.
My PD asked me to take my step 3 exam by end of November so that he can include this as part of my evaluation by CCC in mid December so that he can decide whether to have me leave or not.
I think one attending recently said that my chart reviewing is slow compared to my peers (there was a misunderstanding on that part). My PD changed my schedule next month to a hard impatient medicine rotation for the entire month. He asked me to take step 3 by end of November so that the results will come out by mid December that way he can decide whether to keep me or not during the CCC meeting in December. Originally, it was ICU rotation for first two weeks and then easy elective rotation after that so I was thinking I would have some time during the last two weeks to study intensely but with this impatient medicine rotation, you work 12 days straight and take two days off so like around 70 hours a week
To make up for this, he is letting me do easy ambulatory rotation now where I only go to hospital once or twice a week.
I emailed and texted my PD to ask what exactly made him make this change in my schedule. He’s not responding to me at all. I also asked my chief resident and they are avoiding answering my question
I just took a practice exam and scored very poorly like mid 50s percent and I am wondering if I can get a passing score by end of November with the heavy month long rotation. I think he will have me leave the program if I fail.
I don’t even have time for therapy and I tried ssri once but my mind got all foggy and couldn’t think through a patient and one of my attendings reported me.
I have talked to a couple attendings and they seem willing to vote for passing me onto pgy2 but Im not completely sure and this whole situation is very stressful. I feel like I’m on thin ice.
Am I just not cut out for this career? Am I supposed to leave this program and find somewhere else? Every year I spend in medicine just feels like a battle to just survive since medical school.
Other than studying for the exam, Is there anything I should be doing in this situation to prepare for the worst?
Submit eras again now?
Also, if I am technically supposed to be pgy 1 until December and our policy is that you take step 3 until end of PGY1 year, am I still required to take it by November?
Our hospital policy is that PGY I residents are supposed to take step 3 by the end of their PGY1 year. But because of the stressful situation, I couldn’t take it by the end of June.
I’ve been doing OK all my rotations. One attending told me that I improved and now work like a second year but others think I’m still kind behind compared to my peers. I feel like it’s hard to break the preformed impression that attendings have about you so if you make even one little mistake it all goes to my PD.
My PD asked me to take my step 3 exam by end of November so that he can include this as part of my evaluation by CCC in mid December so that he can decide whether to have me leave or not.
I think one attending recently said that my chart reviewing is slow compared to my peers (there was a misunderstanding on that part). My PD changed my schedule next month to a hard impatient medicine rotation for the entire month. He asked me to take step 3 by end of November so that the results will come out by mid December that way he can decide whether to keep me or not during the CCC meeting in December. Originally, it was ICU rotation for first two weeks and then easy elective rotation after that so I was thinking I would have some time during the last two weeks to study intensely but with this impatient medicine rotation, you work 12 days straight and take two days off so like around 70 hours a week
To make up for this, he is letting me do easy ambulatory rotation now where I only go to hospital once or twice a week.
I emailed and texted my PD to ask what exactly made him make this change in my schedule. He’s not responding to me at all. I also asked my chief resident and they are avoiding answering my question
I just took a practice exam and scored very poorly like mid 50s percent and I am wondering if I can get a passing score by end of November with the heavy month long rotation. I think he will have me leave the program if I fail.
I don’t even have time for therapy and I tried ssri once but my mind got all foggy and couldn’t think through a patient and one of my attendings reported me.
I have talked to a couple attendings and they seem willing to vote for passing me onto pgy2 but Im not completely sure and this whole situation is very stressful. I feel like I’m on thin ice.
Am I just not cut out for this career? Am I supposed to leave this program and find somewhere else? Every year I spend in medicine just feels like a battle to just survive since medical school.
Other than studying for the exam, Is there anything I should be doing in this situation to prepare for the worst?
Submit eras again now?
Also, if I am technically supposed to be pgy 1 until December and our policy is that you take step 3 until end of PGY1 year, am I still required to take it by November?