Importance of Third Year Grades in Match

Started by Pr1d3D0c
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pr1d3D0c

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a M3 who is about to finish the final Clerkships of third year. I have always been interested in ENT as my ultimate field but have had a strong interest in Neurosurgery. Now that I am finishing my neurology rotation and rotating through Neurosurgery for a week, I am beginning to wonder if that path is more consistent with my interests. However, after years of conditioning my app for ENT, I am unsure if it is too late to rescue for NeuroSurg.

Step 1: 247
Step 2: Not Yet
Clerkships: I have received honors in all of my clinical feedback and am regarded as easy to work with, for the record. My HP grades have weirdly been by narrowly missing the H cutoff for the shelves.
Med- H
Surgery- HP
OB/Gyn- HP
Peds- HP
Psych- TBD
Neuro- TBD

Research:
Projects- 7 projects (including one away fellowship in Neurotology in M1-2 year)
Publications- 2 publications (1 basic science As second author, 1 in Head and Neck Oncology as first author), 2 manuscripts in editing (both first author in ENT)
 
Step 1 is middle-of-the pack, HP in surgery will hurt you a bit, 4 publications with 3 first author and the 4th as basic science is good.

Do you have a home program/is it a top 20-30 program? If so, then I'd advise you honor neurology, get a 260+ on step 1, and get at least 1 neurosurgery publication on your ERAS. If you check all of the above boxes (especially the strong home med school), then you can apply this year and be a moderately competitive applicant.

If you're missing any of the above - especially having a weaker home program - I'd recommend a productive gap year, but keep in mind that many strong applicants are taking a gap year this year because of COVID and the SNS away policy, so next year is theorized to be a very tough match.