Increasing my RVU target in June retroactively for the previous year.

Started by samac
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But saving $9 on something won't make a difference. People save money in all sorts of things while being a doctor. I am not sure if that is because of financial people on social media telling you not to get Starbucks, but as a doctor that won't make a difference. Not saying to get an expensive car, but getting a 50-70k car every 8-10 years or something like that also will not make much of a difference vs driving a civic 2008.
I went wild and got a Hyundai Tucson when I became an attending to replace my husbands 2002 sonata that had 250k miles on it and the ac didn’t work.
He now drives my 2011 Mazda and I drive the new Tucson lol
 
Last edited:
I am actually more curious on the opposite spectrum. Every physician on SDN or reddit is making their 300-400k salary and preaches about how great is to drive a 2008 Civic, live in a trailer, and hunt your own food to save money. There are multiple threads even in this sub about if you put X as business expenses to save tax. The X is usually a $10-30 item, so considering 30% tax rate, that is like a $5 discount.

I’ve never met a physician that hunts to save money. The hunting lease, new guns, taxidermy, processing fees, hunting license, ammo, ear protection, hunting attire, target practicing, etc adds up. It’s an expensive hobby.

At $300k, you make enough to buy almost anything but not everything. The physician that brags about driving the used Tesla bought for $16K may be the same one that also has electric panels, home batteries, and a small mansion.

Some of the watch addict physicians are driving a $20K vehicle while wearing a $35K watch which is mind boggling to me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve never met a physician that hunts to save money. The hunting lease, new guns, taxidermy, processing fees, hunting license, ammo, ear protection, hunting attire, target practicing, etc adds up. It’s an expensive hobby.

At $300k, you make enough to buy almost anything but not everything. The physician that brags about driving the used Tesla bought for $16K may be the same one that also has electric panels, home batteries, and a small mansion.

Some of the watch addict physicians are driving a $20K vehicle while wearing a $35K watch which is mind boggling to me.

I mean the hunt and trailer parts were a joke, although the trailer part might not be far from what you hear people recommending online.

I splurged as an attending and got a 400 dollar pellet smoker.

Nowhere close in sophistication to these ovens yall are talking about - but making a mean Texas brisket sure does feel and taste good.

A splurge is a Yodel, which is a 3k dollar pellet smoker, which I am planning to get. I will likely keep that Yodel forever, so I am not that bothered by the cost.

Maybe TexasPhysician is right and people just spend money on very different things. For SDN standards I spend money like crazy but still have been able to make a good investment in the first year as attending, and I did spend way more money than I should've.
 
I splurged as an attending and got a 400 dollar pellet smoker.

Nowhere close in sophistication to these ovens yall are talking about - but making a mean Texas brisket sure does feel and taste good.

I guess travel is my splurge. usually one international vaca going business for 7-8 days is like 15-20k per year. the last toy i bought was a ps5 last year. I dont count buying vitamins and supplements.
 
I’ve never met a physician that hunts to save money.
sushirolls.jpg
 
I’ve never met a physician that hunts to save money. The hunting lease, new guns, taxidermy, processing fees, hunting license, ammo, ear protection, hunting attire, target practicing, etc adds up. It’s an expensive hobby.

At $300k, you make enough to buy almost anything but not everything. The physician that brags about driving the used Tesla bought for $16K may be the same one that also has electric panels, home batteries, and a small mansion.

Some of the watch addict physicians are driving a $20K vehicle while wearing a $35K watch which is mind boggling to me.
How about $5,000 vehicle and $1200 Apple Watch ? 😂😂