Intermolecular Forces

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MortellarPreMed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you determine which molecules have stronger intermolecular forces in comparriosn to each other.

For example:

CO2 or OCS

SeO2 or SO2

An explanation as to why which one would have a stronger intermolecular forces would be much appreciated.
 
If they have some charge, that can be really attractive

If they can hydrogen bond, that can be pretty attractive

Otherwise I end up guesstimating electronegativity and try to imagine which atom ends up with all the electron density for some polarity. Then I try to think about how these polar molecules could attract each other.

So, like, with O=C=O you would think that there isn't really any polarity, but with O=C=S there would have to be because oxygen is so electronegative in comparison to those other two atoms. So I'm pretty sure O=C=S would have more intermolecular attraction

I'm usually wrong, but I think this is correct