-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Interview invites when applying to neuro
Started by oddvacado
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm applying this year as well, so you might want to take this with a grain of salt. Pretty much all the websites of the programs i'm interested in suggest they start in mid october and go on till mid january. Both websites that seemed to have been updated based the new deadines and those that haven't had the range I mentione above.
Last edited:
Most offered interviews my year from early September to early October. The actual interview dates were mid October to early February. The ERAS date was, I believe, Sept 1st.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So the ERAS date for us this year was 9/15. How long after you submitted your ERAS did it take to start hearing back from programs? It has only been two business days, but it'd be nice to know! Also do you have to log into ERAS to see interview invitations or do you get an email? Thanks!!
Submitted on 9/15. First interview offer came yesterday. Things seem to be moving pretty quicky all across the board. For invites you get an email which is nothing but a copy of a message you will find when signed onto ERAS.
Submitted on 9/15. First interview offer came yesterday. Things seem to be moving pretty quicky all across the board. For invites you get an email which is nothing but a copy of a message you will find when signed onto ERAS.
Would you mind saying which program offered an interview in neurology already? Maybe we should start up the yearly interview sticky thread?
Submitted monday, nothing yet
Would you mind saying which program offered an interview in neurology already? Maybe we should start up the yearly interview sticky thread?
Sure, the program was Ohio State. I think you're right about the sticky. Best of luck to all.
I got a couple of interviews yesterday and got far too excited, aaand have now jinxed myself. I feel it. This is when I need to remind myself I suck, and go back to having zero expectations from other programs. I'm not at all neurotic.
I know what you mean. I've probably checked my e-mail about 100 times today.
Submitted 9/15, got UTSW, UChicago
Nice!
Maybe we should start up the yearly interview sticky thread?
agree
Congrats on the interview! I'm still waiting, submitted on the 15th also. I am waiting on one neuro LOR and i've got 3 IM letters 😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats on the interview! I'm still waiting, submitted on the 15th also. I am waiting on one neuro LOR and i've got 3 IM letters 😕
I also submitted on the 15th w/ a complete app and have no word yet. It is hard not freak out now and then but just remember it is still really really early. At this point, it is still random. For all you know, they may not have even seen your application yet in the pile. I wonder how many people are dedicated to sifting through applications on top of their other daily responsibilities. Imagine how long it would take to look at all those applications (even if it was just looking at scores), when they get bombarded with hundreds on the same day. At least this is what I tell myself 🙂
I also submitted on the 15th w/ a complete app and have no word yet. It is hard not freak out now and then but just remember it is still really really early. At this point, it is still random. For all you know, they may not have even seen your application yet in the pile. I wonder how many people are dedicated to sifting through applications on top of their other daily responsibilities. Imagine how long it would take to look at all those applications (even if it was just looking at scores), when they get bombarded with hundreds on the same day. At least this is what I tell myself 🙂
I wouldn't worry about it. Interview season lasts for about a month anyway (couple of programs said their first interview dates begin October 17th, they offer until then). If you look at the program director's survey from last year or the nrmp data sheets from 2011, each neuro program receives about 300 applicants, more so if they are competitive. Where in the stack of initial applicants you lie, or how they decide they want to review applicants (as they come in, once a majority come in), completely depends. Trust me, I'm about as neurotic and pessimistic about this as possible, but I keep having to remind myself to take deep breaths, there's still plenty of time left in bulk interview season.
Submitted 9/15, got UTSW, UChicago
I had a question if you have any relationship with Uchicago or the chicago area.
MSPEs arent even released (all schools release at Oct 1 i think).
If you get an interview now, its likely because that school REALLY wants you based on your cv, LoR, USMLE transcript
Or you're already a known quantity to the program (ie you rotated there or are a medical student at their institution).
UF Gainvsille on 9/18 and UVA yesterday (9/20).
Colorado and UVA yesterday (09/20), UMass today (09/21)
South Alabama today
U colorado and UI @ Chicago yesterday.
Penn State on 9/21.
Also got University of Iowa and VCU today (9/24)
Also got University of Iowa and VCU today (9/24)
Last edited:
Mayo Jacksonville today (9/24)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+Mayo Jax today (9/24) as well.
Maryland today (09/24)
Maryland and U cinci today
Vanderbilt (9/25) , U Cincy (9/24)
There seems to be variation in the rate at which programs get out invites. This year the September 15 date for release fell on a Saturday, and so likely didn't start reviewing applications until Monday Sept 17. We know there is a lag in people getting all their completed apps in so often that delays the decision whether to invite or not. If you have something in particular that they are looking for that year you may get an early invite even without a completed app. Some PDs may wait for the release of the Dean's Letter since it is only a half month after the release of the apps in general, which is really different than previous years and may make that more relevant than before - have to see. I agree that most programs start interviewing mid to late October and wrap up early to mid January. Also remember that while there will be a burst of invites in the next several weeks, there will be ongoing invites for slots that are unfilled or people drop out on our interview days (this is normal, and getting one of those slots is in no way a bad thing).
So do most programs send out rejection letters if they don't give you interviews? Or is it just complete radio silence?
Everyone is different. If there is some easy to identify criteria that program is looking for that you do not meet they may quickly reject so you aren't left hanging and to clear their queu. If you aren't bad but don't immediately stand out, they may leave your app on hold until they run out of interviews to give and then send rejections or maybe just let silence be the answer. Don't know which is worse, a rejection letter or never hearing. Don't like sending out rejections or leaving people hanging, but when you have a 10 - to - 1 ration of applications to interviews to offer, you're going to be doing one or the other for 90% of the applicants.
Thanks for the information - very helpful. One more question: If you are offered an interview early, but you schedule that interview for late in the season, does the program look at that to mean that you do not have very much interest? For instance, if you are given interview day options in November, December, and January, and you sign up for a day in January, would that indicate that you are not seriously considering going to that program? Thanks for the help.Everyone is different. If there is some easy to identify criteria that program is looking for that you do not meet they may quickly reject so you aren't left hanging and to clear their queu. If you aren't bad but don't immediately stand out, they may leave your app on hold until they run out of interviews to give and then send rejections or maybe just let silence be the answer. Don't know which is worse, a rejection letter or never hearing. Don't like sending out rejections or leaving people hanging, but when you have a 10 - to - 1 ration of applications to interviews to offer, you're going to be doing one or the other for 90% of the applicants.
Thanks for the information - very helpful. One more question: If you are offered an interview early, but you schedule that interview for late in the season, does the program look at that to mean that you do not have very much interest? For instance, if you are given interview day options in November, December, and January, and you sign up for a day in January, would that indicate that you are not seriously considering going to that program? Thanks for the help.
Not really. The thought might cross the PD director's mind if he or she is even aware of it (mostly we send names for our coordinator to schedule and who remembers the order, really). However, what matters is that you actually keep the interview and that it goes well. There are pros and cons to interviewing early and interviewing late. Interview early and they are comparing everyone else to you. Interview late and you are fresher in mind when the rank lists are being assembled. I wouldn't worry too much either way.
I think early is better.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 4K