This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blav

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will completely depend upon other factors. Above a 3.7 is diminishing returns to be honest

The stats won’t keep you out but for those schools you need a wow factor.

Reactions: 4 users
Stat-wise you are competitive for all the schools in the country. Now, whether you're actually competitive for the top schools will depend on your research, ECs, LoRs, etc., i.e. everything non-academic. Remember for the tippity top, 4.0 520s are pretty common, and you need to differentiate yourself and impress with extracurriculars.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t see why not, its a great GPA

Reactions: 1 user
CA ORM, 523 MCAT. A bit worried about my science GPA as Harvard/Penn/Johns Hopkins's science median is 3.95 and 25th percentile is a 3.86/87/88. Was wondering if I should take a few extra classes. I would need to take three extra science classes to get it up to a 3.87...
You're fine!!!!!

But don't stress about single metrics.

Reactions: 1 users
Your stats are competitive for any school. Elite schools require an elite app. There should be something within to really set you apart. Statistically, the majority of successful applicants only receive one acceptance. In your case, it is impossible to predict which one might accept you , if any. Obviously, 99%tile score on the mcat will get your app a look. Plenty of perfect SAT applicants don't get into Harvard. Make sure there are some very good/unique reasons for them to accept you. I think your GPA is fine. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Those GPAs will not keep you out of any school in the country. Without a "wow factor" like Division I or professional athletics, Peace Corps or military service, unusual background, or impressive research productivity, you are basically pack fodder at top 20 schools and whether you will get an interview or admission is more or less a crapshoot.

CA ORM, 523 MCAT. A bit worried about my science GPA as Harvard/Penn/Johns Hopkins's science median is 3.95 and 25th percentile is a 3.86/87/88. Was wondering if I should take a few extra classes. I would need to take three extra science classes to get it up to a 3.87...
Taking three classes to move sGPA up by 0.01 would be silly IMO. Your time can be better spent on other things. My knowledge, albeit anecdotal, is that true leadership experience, significant volunteering in seriously underserved areas away from campus, and solid research can be great differentiators between you and similar high stat candidates.

Reactions: 1 users
A 3.8 will not keep you out of any school in the country.