Is an MD program even possible? Formal post-bac with linkage, w/out linkages, or independent study?

Started by nonibot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nonibot

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I have decided to pursue my desire to become a doctor. However, I don't know if MD school is a possibility for me given my academic follies.

A bit of background: I've wanted to be a doctor since about middle school. I did well in high school, went to a University of California initially declared as a Biochem major. I took one chemistry class (didn't study too much) ended up with a C and 18 year old me took that to mean that I wasn't cut out for pre-med, and definitely not medical school. Afterwards, I fumbled around various classes, suffered through depression and anxiety, then junior came around and I needed to switch majors. I ended up graduating with a degree in linguistics. It wasn't until junior year that I was in a better head space and had matured enough to begin to take school seriously again. By the time I realized I had been too quick to discount my chances for med school, I was on my way to graduate. I am 23 years old, I worked full-time for 1 year after graduation and volunteered at an ER. I am now living with my parents so I can dedicate myself full-time to this pursuit.

Here I am now realizing that I still have the itch to pursue medicine. I wonder if I should attempt to complete the prereqs on my own or join a formal postbac. I know my GPA is not high enough to compete with the postbac linkage program applicant pools, but should I try to boost my GPA to apply to a program that offers linkage?

Would you advise I retake the intro classes below? If I am able to ace all the other prereq classes do you think MD schools will consider me? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Chemistry 2A: C
MAT 16A (short calculus): B
MAT 21A (engineer calculus): C
MAT 21B: B
Biology 2A: B+

total quarter units of science: 21
GPA of classes above: 2.642
cumulative GPA: 3.285
major GPA: 3.8