This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalboi

Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I would love some advice on what you recommend I do for this cycle. So far, I have only applied to 5 schools. I have decided way too late that I want to add more programs, but September is almost over and I would still have to work on the supplementals of the programs I add.

Based on this information, would you recommend I still apply this late in the cycle, and can I still receive any pre-December interviews? And if so, which schools do you recommend I apply to? Which schools should I avoid applying to (I hear some schools have already sent out the majority of their interview invites)?

Info:
I am a NJ resident; cGPA: 3.75/sGPA: 3.64; DAT - AA: 21 TS: 20 PAT: 20 QR: 22 RC: 21 Bio: 18 GC: 24 OC: 21; no research, good extracurriculars

(also side-note, I decided to drop out of my school's accelerated dental program and apply elsewhere, but it is listed on my application. If I do get an interview and they ask about this, what should I say?)

tl;dr: is it too late to apply to schools and still get accepted in December? If so, which schools should I apply to/avoid, according to stats?

Thank you for the help!

yes, you should apply to more schools
5 is probably way too few with your stats
which schools did you apply to?

no, it's not too late, covid has really screwed up this cycle
do your own research over what schools you may add, and then come back with the list

yes, you should apply to more schools
5 is probably way too few with your stats
which schools did you apply to?

no, it's not too late, covid has really screwed up this cycle
do your own research over what schools you may add, and then come back with the list
So far I have applied to Temple, Rutgers (IS), Touro, Buffalo, and VCU. I was also going to possibly add UConn, UMD, BU, UNC, UPitt, Tufts, and UNE. Do you recommend getting rid of any on that list or have recommendations for others? Thanks for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I have applied to Temple, Rutgers (IS), Touro, Buffalo, and VCU. I was also going to possibly add UConn, UMD, BU, UNC, UPitt, Tufts, and UNE. Do you recommend getting rid of any on that list or have recommendations for others? Thanks for your reply!
Recommend removing UConn, BU, UNC, and Tufts

not a bad list
UConn and UNC are reaches, but it's not wrong to have a couple of those

5 schools is way too few with your stats. Add all of those but take UNC off - they accept very few OOS and those that they do accept have high stats (24AA+). Add em asap and submit their supplementals in the next few days.

not a bad list
UConn and UNC are reaches, but it's not wrong to have a couple of those
Awesome, thank you! And I agree, I am just applying there because they're close to home, which is something I would prefer.

May I ask why? I saw that BU and Tufts both had an average DAT of about 20 and GPA of about 3.5, and I meet both of those stats. TIA for clarifying!
They get A LOT of applicants based on such criteria, therefore I don't think it's worth applying to those specific schools (at this point, at least)

5 schools is way too few with your stats. Add all of those but take UNC off - they accept very few OOS and those that they do accept have high stats (24AA+). Add em asap and submit their supplementals in the next few days.
Will do, thank you! Are there other schools you think I should add?

They get A LOT of applicants based on such criteria, therefore I don't think it's worth applying to those specific schools (at this point, at least)
Makes sense, thank you. Are there other schools you think I should replace them with?