This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katy16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have 1 C+ on my transcript from o chem my sophomore year, and I'm wondering whether this is worth addressing when secondaries ask me to explain academic challenges/setbacks, or whether mentioning it would just draw more attention onto something that overall is only a blip on my transcript.
(Both my BCMP and cumulative GPA's are above average and I have done well in upper div science courses since).
Not worth addressing. Your academic record will speak for itself. If asked about this during interviews, you can give an explanation then. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree that it is not worth mentioning. If anything it shows that your human :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar predicament. Should I be more inclined to offer an explanation for a one-time poor grade to schools with 3.9+ medians, or is it still not worth mentioning? I similarly got a C+ in Orgo I, which was my only science class below an A-.

I'm in a similar predicament. Should I be more inclined to offer an explanation for a one-time poor grade to schools with 3.9+ medians, or is it still not worth mentioning? I similarly got a C+ in Orgo I, which was my only science class below an A-.

Still not worth it. If they care they'll ask in the interview. Those "explain any academic discrepancies" questions are about W's, leaves of absence, etc.

I have 1 C+ on my transcript from o chem my sophomore year, and I'm wondering whether this is worth addressing when secondaries ask me to explain academic challenges/setbacks, or whether mentioning it would just draw more attention onto something that overall is only a blip on my transcript.
(Both my BCMP and cumulative GPA's are above average and I have done well in upper div science courses since).
My explanation would be that I struggled with balancing an intense athletic in-season that limited my time to study, as well as a professor whose teaching style was a poor fit for me. The semester taught me how to better manage my time, as well as how to tell a professor "no" when they ask you whether you understand something they have explained (rather than just nodding along).
Thoughts?
Only if a prompt asks specifically.

Reactions: 1 user
Only if a prompt asks specifically.
What about schools that ask for you to explain “significant fluctuations in your academic record.” If my upper level science courses were all As but with one C+ and I never had any other grade below a B with a GPA of 3.80, does that need to be addressed in this prompt?

What about schools that ask for you to explain “significant fluctuations in your academic record.” If my upper level science courses were all As but with one C+ and I never had any other grade below a B with a GPA of 3.80, does that need to be addressed in this prompt?
One C= is not a significant fluctuation. Having a FR year of 3.9 -> SO 3.0 -JR 3.6 is a fluctuation.

Perfectionism is weeded out at admissions

Reactions: 1 users
One C= is not a significant fluctuation. Having a FR year of 3.9 -> SO 3.0 -JR 3.6 is a fluctuation.

Perfectionism is weeded out at admissions
That’s what I figured. Just wanted to make sure