Is there a benefit to doing Step 1 Amboss on top of Step 1 UWorld for Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can see how both could be overkill in a PF Step 1 world, but would doing more practice problems for Step 1 have a tangible benefit for Step 2 down the road?

My plan was always to start UWorld 6-7 months before my exam date. I recently received a decent discount for Amboss through my school, and I was wondering if doing some Amboss questions before UWorld will help for Step 2 in the long run.

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: I'm literally dumb

Maturing AnKing will help you though down the road. All my classmates who did that run circles around the rest of us with their exam grades. But it comes at the cost of, ya know, joining the Anki cult. My ex wife didn't let me study that hard

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If I'm understanding your question correctly you want to prep for step 2 by doing a bunch of step 1 material? If that's the question then I would say no don't do that. There is overlap in the knowledge base for the two exams but the style is so different that doing what you're proposing would be a waste of time.

If you want to add amboss STEP 2 questions on top of uworld - then I'd say that's a solid plan. Especially if you have 6 months. Add in Anki, practice NBMEs, UWSAs and you'll be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm understanding your question correctly you want to prep for step 2 by doing a bunch of step 1 material? If that's the question then I would say no don't do that. There is overlap in the knowledge base for the two exams but the style is so different that doing what you're proposing would be a waste of time.

If you want to add amboss STEP 2 questions on top of uworld - then I'd say that's a solid plan. Especially if you have 6 months. Add in Anki, practice NBMEs, UWSAs and you'll be good.
Dang bud I misread the prompt.

I need to slow down on SDN, that's two in a row in the past 48 hours

• Haha
I can see how both could be overkill in a PF Step 1 world, but would doing more practice problems for Step 1 have a tangible benefit for Step 2 down the road?

My plan was always to start UWorld 6-7 months before my exam date. I recently received a decent discount for Amboss through my school, and I was wondering if doing some Amboss questions before UWorld will help for Step 2 in the long run.
No

• Haha
Mo questions is mo betta... and disagree with above, would say that S1 score is relatively predictive for S2 score.

no
You need to have a good base to do well on step 2 but the questions and thinking are way different

So youd say doing step 1 uworld is more important than doing as many anki cards if one is trying to prep for step 2?
Ideally do both but questions are more important than a lot of the anking cards.

Ideally do both but questions are more important than a lot of the anking cards.
If I keep forgetting same anking cards no matter what do I suspend and move on with my life? I feel incredible amount of rage when I keep failing to memorize an anking card and keep getting it wrong lmao

If I keep forgetting same anking cards no matter what do I suspend and move on with my life? I feel incredible amount of rage when I keep failing to memorize an anking card and keep getting it wrong lmao
If it's super low yield, don't feel bad about suspending and moving on with your life...if the information is important, it'll come up later in a uWorld or NBME practice exam question.

Just do more Step 2 questions, don’t repeat Step 1 questions.

If you're asking how to prep for Step 1 so you do well on Step 2, then yes, do as many questions as possible. But beware of overloading. I've overbought material for both and while it's not catastrophic, an extra few hundred $$ would've been nice to have.

I think if you stick to just Amboss and UWorld, you should be fine. The benefit of Amboss is also their library, it comes in clutch for clinicals. It's a great summary of high yield and a primary source for me.