January PCAT?

Started by Kaxa2000
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kaxa2000

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan on applying to Pharm school this summer with the hope of possibly getting in Fall 2011. I haven't taken the PCAT yet and hope that I could take it possibly in January, but I think I heard someone mention that few pharm schools accept the January one...I'm not sure if he was referring to the people who applied this past summer or just in general. Just to make sure I wanted to ask on here.

Also...I want to get physics 2 out of the way at a community college in the summer since it isnt a pre req....just in my degree plan....will pharm schools look down on this?
 
Last edited:
Hi, I am taking Physics I and II next summer. No one will look down on you for taking a science course that is not a pre-requisite. I also plan on applying for 2011. I plan on taking October PCAT, that way I will have enough time to prepare during the summer, since I'd only be taking one class. Summer courses are usually "harder", because there's not much time and you have to go over a lot of material, and I'm sure pharm schools are aware of that. The school that I'm applying to has the beginning of January 2011 as their deadline for early admissions.
 
Holy Moly is right as long as you are planning to apply for the 2011 cycle you are fine. The best piece of advice I ever got was apply early pharmcas opens in like June or July of each year!!!!!!!! I took physics at community college, and I got accepted. I noticed that some schools will put on their page that they prefer pre-req from university(ex. Massachusetts-Worchester) but most do not have a preference. I personally feel it looks better to take things like Chem, O-Chem and BIO at university then it does Community College, an admission dean told me that if they had 2 similar candidates they will consider where they got their science pre-reqs from he didn't mention anything about math/physics. I do know people that got all of their stuff at Community College and still got in though... I think it really depends on the school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jan/2010 PCAT is only a problem if you are applying right now. but you are talking about 2011 so its fine

The OP can still take the Jan 2010 PCAT and apply for Fall 2010. I took the Jan 2009 PCAT and applied for Fall 2009 and still got accepted. Good luck! 🙂
 
Only few pharm schools in my state will accept Jan PCAT if you're in current app cycle. You still have a chance but the chances are lowered if you're applying to multiple schools...that's what I was concerned about. Thanks for the answers
 
Just make sure you take the PCAT October or earlier... most schools (possibly all) will not accept anything later than the October one... January should be no problem for the 2011 app cycle.