This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omnivore76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I definitely see jobs posted every couple years outside of the major LA and SF metros in places like Stockton, Chico, el centro etc. I imagine something should pop up and probably pay better than what you'll see in SF/LA

Hey everyone— can anyone who recently went through the job search tell me how difficult it is to get a decent job in California? Leaning towards private practice over academics.

I still have a few years before I look for a job and I’ll be coming from a reputable east coast residency program. For personal reasons, I’m really hoping to relocate to California after residency but I know that will be hard. Are there a decent amount of jobs outside of SF or LA where competition is the stiffest?

I knew that going into rad onc, getting a job in a specific location would be something that could not be guaranteed, but due to an unexpected turn of events, I now have a location preference that I didn’t have prior to applying. Now that I am in this situation, what steps can I take to get that job in california?

Keep your eyes and ears out, something may open up that wants a new grad.

This should be a lesson for others. You never know your situation and not having geo flexibility will make life very complicated for you. As a new grad jobs will either be tough to get in your desired location or they want you bc youre cheap without giving you a long term plan. So suddenly the monetary reason for Rad Onc is out the door. So you tell yourself ok, ill go somewhere else and get experience for 2-3 years then find something. Then you find that practices will only hire you at a junior level anyway despite your experience. Its not a good cycle and will make you contemplate leaving the field. Finding an actual long term career in the field right now has many limitations even if you truly are geography agnostic which is not really possible

Members don't see this ad :)
Its seems like non coastal California jobs are posted on the ASTRO website every 3 to 6 months or so. I would recommend signing up for the ASTRO career center daily email list so you can get a general feel for job market. There is also always the "junior" attending position/fellowship at Stanford each year for the truly desperate.

I agree that there are frequent jobs posted in the Inland Empire, Central Valley, Sierra Nevada, and North Coast. Just keep in mind that one reasons that the same jobs frequently show up is not because of expansion or retirement but rather a revolving door of disgruntled employees. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that there are frequent jobs posted in the Inland Empire, Central Valley, Sierra Nevada, and North Coast. Just keep in mind that one reasons that the same jobs frequently show up is not because of expansion or retirement but rather a revolving door of disgruntled employees. Caveat emptor.
The job in Irvine (ksk cancer) is posted most years for the last decade or so.

As true as this is, desirable locations also have disgruntled employees. They're just more likely to stay for the location (and trapped by non-compete). Always caveat emptor--though beggars can't be choosers in this job market :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
From what I hear about the central valley as a non-californian, it sounds like taking a hit location wise, essentially rural, but still paying high cali taxes....

I'd prob just take a job in tx, ok or elsewhere at that point

From what I hear about the central valley as a non-californian, it sounds like taking a hit location wise, essentially rural, but still paying high cali taxes....

I'd prob just take a job in tx, ok or elsewhere at that point

Eh I mean you'll still be an hour and a half away from the beach and it's not like you'll have to deal with bad weather in SoCal.