-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Kaplan PCAT 2008-2009 Book
Started by cuedee
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm complained about the Kaplan Course but I would still recommend that you do the $30 book. I have that book and the Kaplan Course book and it is the same, there's a couple of extra sections in the classroom book but everything else is in there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i used this book and i can tell u as a june and august pcater that the math is WORTHLESS! u need to seriously get another calc. aid for sure...
what about the biology and chemistry sections..was it worth it studying from the book
I think it is really helpful to use other sources for practice problems. Use your old textbooks or Cliff reviews seemed pretty good to me.
As other people said, I saw quite a few typos and wrong info in the Kaplan book. If you want to save some money, buy an older copy of Kaplan (just skip the geometry part). Everything else is almost the same except some diagrams that clarify parts.
As other people said, I saw quite a few typos and wrong info in the Kaplan book. If you want to save some money, buy an older copy of Kaplan (just skip the geometry part). Everything else is almost the same except some diagrams that clarify parts.
i used this book and i can tell u as a june and august pcater that the math is WORTHLESS! u need to seriously get another calc. aid for sure...
I agree. Not just calculus. Other precalculus stuff too.
The Kaplan book was good for biology, inorganic chemistry, verbal and reading. I highly recommend finding something else for the math section and for organic. The book really did nothing for these topics on the actual test!
What Cali said.
We had a great Organic teacher at my college so that wasn't much of a problem for me, other than some "common" names instead of IUPAC.
Find something to review for Trig and Calculus - the pcat prep books will not catch up till next year most likely.
We had a great Organic teacher at my college so that wasn't much of a problem for me, other than some "common" names instead of IUPAC.
Find something to review for Trig and Calculus - the pcat prep books will not catch up till next year most likely.
i'm using it now but i'm discouraged, according to the remarks from those who took the august pcat.
also, i found one typo already
I found plenty myself. I wonder if I send in a letter to kaplan pointing them all out if they will give me my money back for the book

I found plenty myself. I wonder if I send in a letter to kaplan pointing them all out if they will give me my money back for the book![]()
I also found quite a few typos.
After reading the recent posts, I think I definitely need more materials for the calculus and organic chem parts. But the question is how deep I should dig. 😕
any good calculus/organic chem books you people can recommend? thanks!
i heard that Organic Chemistry by Leroy wade is good.
i heard that Organic Chemistry by Leroy wade is good.
I used the 08-09 KAPLAN PCAT book and got an 89 composite. I found it helpful (don't know how much better it would be over previous editions)
Hey Fenixtlfan- Did you take the pcat after using the cliffs reviews? I read on another post that someone who took the cliffs pcat test said it was too easy(chem).Actually they said 100x harder on the real thing, vs Cliffs.
I'm using Cliffs Reviews so if anyone has good/bad advice on those..would appreciate it.
I'm not a big fan of Kaplan..It's funny because I just now found a 2000 version of the PCAT book from the course when my older sibling took it, and it's all the same. They didn't even add a Micro section, or physio..BUt at least they did add a Cal/prob/stats section. Which I heard is not sufficient anyway. I think older editions will be fine.
It really depends though ..some people like kap, some don't.You'll just have to check out all the books yourself.
I'm using Cliffs Reviews so if anyone has good/bad advice on those..would appreciate it.
I'm not a big fan of Kaplan..It's funny because I just now found a 2000 version of the PCAT book from the course when my older sibling took it, and it's all the same. They didn't even add a Micro section, or physio..BUt at least they did add a Cal/prob/stats section. Which I heard is not sufficient anyway. I think older editions will be fine.
It really depends though ..some people like kap, some don't.You'll just have to check out all the books yourself.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Fenixtlfan- Did you take the pcat after using the cliffs reviews? I read on another post that someone who took the cliffs pcat test said it was too easy(chem).Actually they said 100x harder on the real thing, vs Cliffs.
I'm using Cliffs Reviews so if anyone has good/bad advice on those..would appreciate it.
I'm not a big fan of Kaplan..It's funny because I just now found a 2000 version of the PCAT book from the course when my older sibling took it, and it's all the same. They didn't even add a Micro section, or physio..BUt at least they did add a Cal/prob/stats section. Which I heard is not sufficient anyway. I think older editions will be fine.
It really depends though ..some people like kap, some don't.You'll just have to check out all the books yourself.
if im not mistaken some qs on the pcat (bio specially ) were the same(worded differently) as the qs in the cliffs book sooo... cliffs is atually really good for me atleast...
and i really realllyyy like the examkrackers books...omnioine keeps talking abt them so i got them from the public library and i really like them....they arnt boring and they tell u wat u need and what not...very good bookss...fun tooo!! laon them from your library and see if u like them
Can someone give me an ISBN of a cliffs review? I agree with a lot of you that Kaplan helps for the Bio and little bit of math. My chemistry background is not all that great. Can anybody recommend a good/quick chem review source?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 9K