Language In Personal Statement

Started by phathead
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yes it will be. Personal statements are suppose to be professional so you cant use abbreviations or slang.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's in relation to a quote that a patient gave me at one point. I'm not just randomly using it in the statement.

I can post the section if need be.

DO NOT POST THE SECTION. The last thing you need is for there to suddenly be more than one app recieved relating the exact same story to be recieved by admissions directors when someone on here decides they really like what you wrote. Or the fact that if someone typed in some of your story to a search engine it would show up with some exact matches....not good.
 
DO NOT POST THE SECTION. The last thing you need is for there to suddenly be more than one app recieved relating the exact same story to be recieved by admissions directors when someone on here decides they really like what you wrote. Or the fact that if someone typed in some of your story to a search engine it would show up with some exact matches....not good.

well not the whole section obviously, I'm not that dense lol

I'll just change his wording as there's really no way to explain it without posting excerpts now that I think about it.
 
yeah I honestly would avoid posting anything in public chat. There is always the list of available proofreaders that you could use for just such a situation like this though.
 
This might seem stupid, but I'm relating a story of a customer and I need to use the term 'helluva'. Is that gonna be a problem?

I'm assuming that this has something to do with you acting professional or compassionate while at work.

If you must say it (the customer said it and it is integral to the story) then put it in quotes. The customer said "..." and I did this (or whatever happened)
 
If it's necessary to convey a point, then I don't see why not. You're not using it in your everyday language, and if you think it's needed, then I say go for it.