This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemongrasscaustic

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a high school student, I was fortunate enough to be accepted to LECOM's 3+4 Early Acceptance pathway. I have just finished my second year of college and I have a 4.00 GPA (I have taken a significant amount of credits and am considered a "Junior"), with quite a bit of ECs. There is another Early Acceptance program through an MD school that I have also applied to, which also allows students to complete their undergraduate education in three years. This MD school is significantly more expensive and I have not heard back from them yet in regards to my application.

My question is, because I am interested in the Primary Care Scholars Pathway through LECOM (completing medical school in three years before entering IM/FM residency), Should I even consider the significantly more expensive MD school's offer for 4 years of traditional medical education? The scholarships provided to me through PCSP at LECOM would allow me to finish my education early and be less than 100K in debt. In contrast, finishing 3 years of undergrad and then 4 years of the MD school would put me at 280K in debt and also one year behind the PCSP at LECOM (so in other words, attending the MD school would put me at 180K MORE in debt, and also delay receiving attending salary by a full year).

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!
If you get accepted at the MD program, go for that. For now, your only path is the LECOM pathway.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless you are in a great position, but be careful with PCSP program because your mind can change about the specialty you want multiple times.

Reactions: 1 user
Regardless you are in a great position, but be careful with PCSP program because your mind can change about the specialty you want multiple times.
True, some specialties are harder for DO grads, but not impossible. I have a student as a CT surgery resident at a local university affiliate, 1200 open hearts a yr, transplants, Tavrs,etc. She was a very good student but not #1 in her class.Specialties are open, but you must be a stellar candidate, just like the MD applicants. As a primary care scholar, you still must be a good student to be considered for competetive residencies. It's possible, just develop a competetive app and play the Match Game well.

Reactions: 1 users