LOE requirement

cm4433

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2009
    This may be a dumb question, but how flexible are the LOE requirements for schools in general. Many schools will only take 3-5 letters. It seems wasteful to send letters from people who haven't had the time to know me nearly as well as the broad range of people I work with in the hospital and at a local college (not the one I currently attend). Is sending a couple of science faculty letters (which I don't consider to be that great... I showed up, paid attention, asked questions, and got an A) accompanied with 3 very good letters from co-workers (2 surgeons and a supervisor) acceptable for an basic MD program?

I understand all schools have this information posted, but I'm wondering if they will not count a great LOE because they weren't one of my teachers.

Thanks for any help.

Longshanks

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    New York
    1. Medical Student
      You need their required letters first and foremost, check the school websites for those. Typically these are two science and one non-science (with one of these being from your major). Anything else to help supplement your application which strengthens it should be sent. Letters from employment are important. Also, are you using a pre-med committee at your school? That may affect how they send letters, unless you are sending these on your own in addition to a committee evaluation.

cm4433

10+ Year Member
      Jan 25, 2009
        Thanks for the feedback.

I do not have pre-med committee. However, my school does assemble a packet of letters. This packet includes academic and professional letters. I am hoping to put together a six letter packet, which will include the necessary letters across the board.

Are science letters only from BCPM classes or are health science courses considered science letters. Would an allied health/health sciences faculty member be considered a "science" letter?

About the Ads

Longshanks

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Apr 4, 2009
        New York
        1. Medical Student
          Thanks for the feedback.

I do not have pre-med committee. However, my school does assemble a packet of letters. This packet includes academic and professional letters. I am hoping to put together a six letter packet, which will include the necessary letters across the board.

Are science letters only from BCPM classes or are health science courses considered science letters. Would an allied health/health sciences faculty member be considered a "science" letter?

Definitely BCPM, I'm not sure about the allied health courses. You'll have to ask schools for a definite answer, or maybe some one here can tell you.

Pulsar

7+ Year Member
          Jun 25, 2009
          1. Pre-Medical
            Thanks for the feedback.

I was also wondering what is considered a science letter. What about one of my chemical engineering professors?

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.