This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldreams13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To be a competitive applicant, you need to show a near 4.0 GPA going forward. Unfortunately, with your current sGPA a prospect of being accepted to any dental school is limited. Moreover, you need to do exceptionally well on the DAT (at least 20 in all of the sections).

As you can imagine, dental school is an order of magnitude more challenging than undergraduate studies are. This requires not only a good work ethic and intelligence, but also a certain level of mental stamina. When we look at applicants, we need to predict whether they will be able to withstand the pressure. So, you will need to convey in your application that you will be able to succeed under such pressure.

Good luck!

As someone who had a low gpa and is struggling in this dental journey with you, you can do this. A lot of people will say it's impossible to recover from a low gpa and it is hard, but doable. Make sure other parts of your application stand out and choose which schools your apply to carefully. I don't think it's possible to get a 4.0 with any non-A grades in your transcript, but I can tell you're aiming to raise it as much as possible.

EC's: definitely join your college dental/health clubs and try to get a leadership position if possible or just be more involved than a regular member. Volunteering and shadowing is important too, keep working in that research lab.
LOR's: I chose people who had different things to say about me. For example, I picked a prof who knew my work ethic/personality really well and another that could speak about my past bad grades and how I overcame them in their class. I'd choose a professor you connected with on a personal level rather than a prof you scored an A with, but doesn't really know you.

Honestly, low grades just mean you have to prove yourself and go above and beyond to really show that you have the passion and the drive. I agree with the person above, you'll want 20+ in all DAT subjects.

For me, getting interviews was REALLY hard because a lot of schools won't give you a chance based on the past grades, but I think you'll be okay if you can keep your gpa up from now on. This was just a slip up and coming back from it can help show your mental fortitude/ability to rise from a minor fall. Also, make sure your personal statement conveys your passion, endurance, and determination, etc. That is the one part of you app where you can actually explain things and kinda convince someone that you deserve a shot.

You've got this! :clap:

If dental school is what you want to do, look into masters programs that will help you reset your GPA and prepare you well! I was encouraged to do a masters because my sGPA was a 3.2 and I’m very thankful I did. It helped me learn so much prior to starting dental school and was 100% the reason I was accepted! Some programs have master’s bridge programs that are very helpful (if you get a certain GPA then you are accepted) but these programs tend to be a bit more challenging. Don’t give up — keep working hard! I know many people in your position who found ways to make it work through dedication and persistence! We are all in D1 year now! Good luck!